Manufacturing in China

Any general items, polls
wedwards

Manufacturing in China

Post by wedwards » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:56 pm

Anyone have any direct experience with taking something to a manufacturing company either here or in China and having it built to specs in volume and shipped over to Australia?

I'm considering my options for a few bbq related items that either can't be obtained here or can't be imported at a reasonable price, then sell them to the Australian market.

Ignoring all the legal stuff, is it a complete nightmare or fairly easy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edgy

Re: Manufacturing in China

Post by edgy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:48 pm

I do have some product manufactured in China, some from Thailand but majority USA. Not BBQ related mind you.

The biggest thing about doing business in China (well Asia in general) is connections & relationships... you really need to have them and have good ones at that.

I would start by approaching someone here in the industry already doing business there and go from there, it may take you a few tries as I am sure someone with connections already is never going to give them away.
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra

wedwards

Post by wedwards » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:38 pm

Thanks mate, i figured as much. Might have to try getting things done here first and keep the $$ in the country - sounds like a much easier proposition, if slightly more expensive.

Mixin

Post by Mixin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:33 am

My experience - face to face time with them, in the factory, will ensure your production matches the flashy samples.

Once you have selected someone, expect to visit several times before and during production to build up the trust & expectations.

I'd also try asking someone local in a similar "raw material" area, but not in your market - eg if you want to make pressed sheetmetal parts for a BBQ grille, talk to guys getting car panels reproduced over there - they are less likely to refuse to help, and referrals mean a lot to the Chinese, and can be good for the referrer too.
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?

edgy

Post by edgy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:50 am

wedwards wrote:Thanks mate, i figured as much. Might have to try getting things done here first and keep the $$ in the country - sounds like a much easier proposition, if slightly more expensive.
It definitely makes sense with the exchange rates & economy to go with local manufacture!
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra