Quickest way to light charcoal

Any general items, polls
emberpak

Re: Quickest way to light charcoal

Post by emberpak » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:34 pm

urbangriller wrote:I tell people at BBQ School to always have some lump charcoal as it lights quickly and then it will light the rest of the fuel (this works well for Robot Turds).

Chris
I do this when testing sawdust/coconut briquettes. Stick some lump under the chimney to light up my briquettes. Gets the briquettes going within 10 min.

Helps that I have a lot of lump to spare! :mrgreen:

2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:36 pm

Looft = quickest
Chimney - slower but more convenient

Caveat here is it depends what you are lighting, heat beads suck, and take ages to get hot. Lump, as Chris mentioned lights quicker. However if you have a chimney of lump that has come from the bottom of a bag of say mallee and they are little bits, then they can be a bastard to get going - the small bits dont allow enough room for air around each other. Looft is your friend here.

And lump charcoals also differ in size and density. Basically, speed = looft, chimney, next best thing. IMO.

Mixin

Post by Mixin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:23 am

Lovey wrote:...........What I found was if I put the chimney on top of the grid/grate over the burner, there is a huge gap between the flame and the charcoal/heat beads and it takes forever to get going. I took the grid off and put the chimney over the burner and it then only took a matter of 10 minutes. ..........
I probably should have mentioned that in my post, but didn't think about it.

My wok burner is inside an old 5 burner gas BBQ - replacing the middle burner.
It has a plate above it that has a huge hole to sit the wok into, so the chimney rests on the cast iron burner, and I lean it against the side of the hole to supports.

If I was going to do a purpose built one, I'd use a cast iron gas ring like this:
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?

steinyboys

Post by steinyboys » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:20 am

Hi all IMO the cheapest and easiest way to light charcoal is to soak a good fist full of kitchen paper in ordinary cooking oil and the light it under the chimney not fire lighters required easy peasy 10-15 your cooking
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20

Macca3275

Post by Macca3275 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:59 pm

after following this thread with interest I dusted off the wok burner on the gas BBQ (used all of 3 time sin its 7 to 10 year life) in preparation for kicking off the Hark Tri Fire on the weekend.
It got the large lump charcoal I use in the Hark up and firing in about 10 mins.
A lot quicker that fire lighters and I did not get a face full of smoke by using the Loftlighter
I am a convert.

yakabot

Post by yakabot » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:04 pm

I've also started using the side burner on the gasser. Only leave it there until I can see coals going around the base, then move chimney off and put elsewhere to keep lighting. Can still blast it from the top of the chimney with the heat gun if in a hurry.

laxation

Post by laxation » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:02 pm

Reporting back with an update...

The first time I tried the Heat Beads booster, it f&%%* sucked! I was using the 'natural' Samba firelighters from Bunnings.
Spent about an hour and a half and all I accomplished was an upset missus (I got grumpy...) and some cold beads.

The second time I tried, I used the standard white firelighters, which produce a much bigger flame, and the Booster worked wonders. Had it cooking in no time :)

So to anyone interested, make sure you use the right tools!

Nath

Quickest way to light charcoal

Post by Nath » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:19 pm

Strange. I used to use the natural fire lighters all the time without any issues. (Without a booster)

Nath
Nath

JPete

Post by JPete » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:32 pm

Superior to looft in terms of speed to light a pile of heatbeads
http://thesilverforge.com/wp-content/up ... 020011.jpg

A mate gave me those self lighting head beads, i drop 3 or 4 in the bottom of the chimney and light as normal, light a whole chimney in 10-15, which is more convenient than torches and loofts.

I havent had much charcoal lately, the looft is next to useless on heatbeads, in fact i dont really see the point at all ???

Gumb

Post by Gumb » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:42 pm

Self lighting heat beads are full of chemicals, I would suggest you chuck them away. Use the cardboard type lighters like Samba from Bunnings.

wedwards

Post by wedwards » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:05 pm

yeah the natural firelighters really suck when used in conjunction with the heatbeads blower device. they are great for just starting plain charcoal however. i think its because they dont seem to burn as fast or as hard as the white ones, and the air coming out of the booster seems to make them burn slower rather than faster. i use the standard white ones when i want a quick chimney used with the booster.

if you are so inclined, its pretty easy to make your own using cotton balls and something else that doesnt come to mind at present.

SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:42 pm

wedwards wrote:
if you are so inclined, its pretty easy to make your own using cotton balls and something else that doesnt come to mind at present.
You can coat them in vaseline or wax if you want to make homemade firelighters

Gumb

Post by Gumb » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:01 pm

wedwards wrote: i use the standard white ones when i want a quick chimney used with the booster .
Which are also full of nasty fumes

JPete

Post by JPete » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:23 pm

Gumb wrote:Self lighting heat beads are full of chemicals, I would suggest you chuck them away. Use the cardboard type lighters like Samba from Bunnings.
What chemicals are in them?

I keep bees. I have a fair bit of wax. Might try melting a 1/4 cup and pouring over the normal beads? Or lighting a wax candle underneath?

Gumb

Post by Gumb » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:17 pm

The stuff that makes them self lighting. Probably Kero or something like that. It's not the charcoal lighting up, it's the fuel initially. Whatever it is, it 'aint food friendly.