New Tools

Any general items, polls
Steaksy

New Tools

Post by Steaksy »

Picked up a new brisket knife and boning knife yesterday looking forward to putting them to work this weekend!

Cheers
Steaksy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ProQ Excel Elite 20, Maverick ET-735, Dragon Hibachi, Gasser
Sjcampbell

Re: New Tools

Post by Sjcampbell »

What brand and where did you get them?

They look good.
Cheers
Steve

Jackaroo 6 burner gasser, Dragon Kamado,
QMaster Junior and Maverick 735
Steaksy

Post by Steaksy »

Sjcampbell wrote:What brand and where did you get them?

They look good.
The Brisket Knife is a Giesser and the Boning Knife is a Prime-Line got them both from the Super Butcher at Eagle Farm in Brisbane not overly expensive I think it was $75 for the pair, they had one of the Brisket Knives left and a few Boning Knives

Cheers
Steaksy
mb403

Post by mb403 »

You can get the dexter russell scalloped slicer (brisket knife- same ones aaron franklin says he uses) landed from amazon for about $35 ish. I got mine with a diamond sharpener blade as well. Both came to $55 from memory

OCAU.COM & AUSSIEPITMASTERS Forum Member
Steaksy

Re:

Post by Steaksy »

mb403 wrote:You can get the dexter russell scalloped slicer (brisket knife- same ones aaron franklin says he uses) landed from amazon for about $35 ish. I got mine with a diamond sharpener blade as well. Both came to $55 from memory
Is this the one

http://www.everten.com.au/dexter-russel ... -30cm.html

Cheers
Steaksy
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

I would have thought that a serrated knife like that would not produce a nice clean cut, especially in softer meats - is that the case, or is serrated ok?
mb403

Post by mb403 »

Looks similar,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004NG98 ... UTF8&psc=1

This is the exact one i got. Scalloped side pictured but note the other side of the blade is serrated. There is deff a technique to using it but the length makes ot alot easier to cut thin slices of meat compared to some chef knifes.

At that price in the au store plus 6.90 shipping... do it!!

mb403

Post by mb403 »

End of the day they are not everyones cup of tea. Everyone has a favorite knife for diffrent applications. Way i looked at it was 30 bucks is nothing for a knife. If it blows or u dont like it better $30 than $75.

wedwards

Post by wedwards »

I ended up grabbing one of these;

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Kitchen/Old- ... 1721071136

Ive got the 10" one of these, and they are a complete weapon, plus I like carbon steel blades over stainless any day of the week, even though they take a bit more work to look after. If this thing doesnt cut it (so to speak), will then get one of the "real" ones.

Cant have too many knives.
Steaksy

Post by Steaksy »

I'll put the Giesser thru its paces on Sunday if it doesn't come up to scratch I'll look into one of these other ones

Steaksy
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Steaksy wrote:I'll put the Giesser thru its paces on Sunday if it doesn't come up to scratch I'll look into one of these other ones

Steaksy
Hiya Steaksy, I like the look of the BBQ Pitboys one Wedwards posted up and found them over here......

http://www2.knifecenter.com/kc_new/stor ... n&d=carbon&

The 10 inch is US$15.95 (AUS$24.95) with cheapest postage AUS$17.90

Cheers, Wayne
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Just remember, those ones I suggested are made out of carbon steel. You can get a wicked edge on them, but they even get in the general vicinity of water and they will start to rust, so learn how to take care of them properly (no dishwasher, hand wash straight after use, rub a bit of mineral oil on the blade for storage etc etc) if you want them to look nice for a long time - I generally dont bother, and like the worn used look they get over time, but thats my preference. My 10" one is used for almost everything - cant wait for the 14" to arrive, will be like a machete :)
Steaksy

Post by Steaksy »

beachbums wrote:
Steaksy wrote:I'll put the Giesser thru its paces on Sunday if it doesn't come up to scratch I'll look into one of these other ones

Steaksy
Hiya Steaksy, I like the look of the BBQ Pitboys one Wedwards posted up and found them over here......

http://www2.knifecenter.com/kc_new/stor ... n&d=carbon&

The 10 inch is US$15.95 (AUS$24.95) with cheapest postage AUS$17.90

Cheers, Wayne
I think I could find a home for the 14" no worries at all Wayne, I do like a big blade for big briskets haha

Cheers
Steaksy
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

wedwards wrote:Just remember, those ones I suggested are made out of carbon steel. You can get a wicked edge on them, but they even get in the general vicinity of water and they will start to rust, so learn how to take care of them properly (no dishwasher, hand wash straight after use, rub a bit of mineral oil on the blade for storage etc etc) if you want them to look nice for a long time - I generally dont bother, and like the worn used look they get over time, but thats my preference. My 10" one is used for almost everything - cant wait for the 14" to arrive, will be like a machete :)

Yep, carbon steel takes a nice edge and does rust if left without oiling. Read somewhere about giving them a hit with vinegar to start the patina going that protects them but can't remember where I saw it. Might be worth investigating?

BTW the 14 inch is the same price as the 10 inch :-)

Cheers, Wayne
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

beachbums wrote:
wedwards wrote:Just remember, those ones I suggested are made out of carbon steel. You can get a wicked edge on them, but they even get in the general vicinity of water and they will start to rust, so learn how to take care of them properly (no dishwasher, hand wash straight after use, rub a bit of mineral oil on the blade for storage etc etc) if you want them to look nice for a long time - I generally dont bother, and like the worn used look they get over time, but thats my preference. My 10" one is used for almost everything - cant wait for the 14" to arrive, will be like a machete :)

Yep, carbon steel takes a nice edge and does rust if left without oiling. Read somewhere about giving them a hit with vinegar to start the patina going that protects them but can't remember where I saw it. Might be worth investigating?

BTW the 14 inch is the same price as the 10 inch :-)

Cheers, Wayne
Here Wayne: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... rbon-Steel

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!