How to stop smoke entering the house

Any general items, polls
Gumb

Re: How to stop smoke entering the house

Post by Gumb »

Looks like a good plan. That's the right foam and the flashing should work. The other thing about laser lite roofing is the noise it makes when it expands on a sunny day. They make a tape to go under it which stops that and you can retro fit it by cutting it in to small sections and just sliding it in where the laser lite touches the battens.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Thanks Gumb. I'll look out for that tape as well.
zook33per

Post by zook33per »

Maybe you could cook in the front yard and display your BBQ prowess to your neighbors :lol:
Golly

Post by Golly »

Narmnaleg wrote:I think I have a plan of action for this weekend:
Use this foam for the laserlite gap near the roof: https://www.masters.com.au/product/9000 ... rips-900mm
Then use this aluminium tape to cover the gap in the netting: https://www.masters.com.au/product/9000 ... 220mm-x-5m
Any small gaps that are left could be dealt with expanda foam.

Thoughts?
Foam in fills then maybe a colourbond custom flashing to cover mesh
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!

TEAM WKC 1st chicken 4th beef 7th pork ribs 5th overall port macquarie march 2014
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

zook33per wrote:Maybe you could cook in the front yard and display your BBQ prowess to your neighbors :lol:
I'd happily do that if it never rained :D
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Golly wrote:Foam in fills then maybe a colourbond custom flashing to cover mesh
Cheers Golly, but unfortunately colourbond would be out of my league skill wise. Also I've already invested on the aluminium tape which I think might do the trick:

As you can see from the pic the gap on the top is still there, this is because the roof must not be laserlite gauge and the laserlite foam infill that I bought doesn't fit properly. I'm thinking that a fire resistant expanda foam will do the trick for those gaps as well, the alternative is to use small pieces of the alum tape (that stuff seems really good!).
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Maybe a strip of foam from Clark rubber could be stuffed in the gap ? Or bits torn off an insulation batt . :?:
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

If that works, think about something like this long term:

Fill under the laserlite, then set a panel on an angle to fill the gap in the rafters...should end up looking nice and neat:

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Thanks Chris, I'm not too worried about how it looks because once the colourbond flashing goes back up you can't see it at all. I'll be filling the gap between the top of the outside wall and the house roof which is not laser lite. Hopefully that will stop smoke coming into the house and should be durable I hope.
Golly

Post by Golly »

1 Get the correct profile infill
2 undo the roofing screws
3 insert infill foam
4 tighten roofing screws down
5 add sealer as required
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!

TEAM WKC 1st chicken 4th beef 7th pork ribs 5th overall port macquarie march 2014
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

I finished sealing the gap the weekend before last. I gave it a test run, but didn't generate enough smoke to really put it to the test. Yesterday though I got the pizza oven going and truly gave it a good test. That flashing tape is amazing, not even a hint of smoke inside the house despite a plume outside. Here's a look at how I finished it:

It might not look that strong, but personally I think it won't come off unless the roof does. Time will tell....
It's all hidden under the colourbond too, so out of sight.