Please be careful...

Any general items, polls
Post Reply
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Please be careful...

Post by tfx » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:40 pm

Hard to believe but there have been two incidents in a fortnight of carbon monoxide poisonings from fuel burners (BBQ's/braziers) being brought indoors to beat the cold. Todays was a whole family that was very lucky to have had one member wake up in time. 3 were out cold and may yet be still be effected.

Most members are obviously very aware of the dangers but if you are lending gear, the holiday house or kids/teens/alchohol are involved please, please be careful and be sure they are aware of the dangers of bringing fuel burners indoors.

Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Adelaide Hills

Re: Please be careful...

Post by Dez » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:56 pm

Good safety issue to raise mate. +1 from me.
About 10 years ago, when I was young, dumb and very drunk. I thought it would be an awesome idea to put my barbie next to my bed. So I could drink beer, watch TV, burn some sausages and hide another. All from between the sheets. Much to my girlfriends dis approval. I found out very quickly that the lack of ventilation in my room was a problem. With the smoke alarms blazing and my eyes watering from the smoke. Naked and panicked, I dragged my burning sausage laden bbq out on to the front lawn.
Bbq is an out door sport folks. Most already know that. Some need guidance.

Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:43 pm

Re: Please be careful...

Post by Mixin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:31 am

Knowing the nanny state we live in, where everyone has to suffer because of the actions of a few, the government will probably ban charcoal soon....
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?


Re: Please be careful...

Post by Gumb » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:31 pm

Nah, they'll just put a warning on the packet. 'Please keep away from naked Flame'

Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:21 pm
Location: Perth WA

Re: Please be careful...

Post by chrisg » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:41 pm


People just do not realise how dangerous CO is and not just from charcoal.

We had a gas fire misbehave in a very minor way a few years back and both had raging headaches the next day. I just do not suffer from headaches which made me suspect CO, it's known for it. Went and bought a CO monitor, sure enough, next call the gas fitter.

Rather than banning something it might not be so stupid to have a legislation requiring CO monitors in the same way we have for smoke alarms.


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests