"Chili" Powder

Any general items, polls
JOCKs

"Chili" Powder

Post by JOCKs »

Just wondering what everyone uses when a US recipe says to use "chili" powder. At first i thought it was how the americans spelt "chilli" but everyone is complaining about the excessive heat :twisted:. Did a quick google and everything suggests "chili" powder is actually a blend ? Not too sure. The UK bbq forums are saying to use a mild chilli powder. The indian spice store i buy from only has 2 kinds; Hot and Extra hot. So im thinking of cutting the suggested amount in half until i can find something more mild.
StoneX

Re: "Chili" Powder

Post by StoneX »

I have just bought "chilli powder" from the supermarket.

I'm not sure if American "chili" powder is something different though.
SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB »

It's the same thing. If the stuff from the Indian spice store is too hot you might need to look at grabbing some generic supermarket stuff or head to another spice merchant.

My local spice dealer has a huge variety of chili powders, ranging in different heat levels.
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Cut the hot with paprika
chilling while grilling
YankQ

Post by YankQ »

My favorite "Chili Powder" is from a spice company called Pensey's, which is very good about listing ingredients without being ambiguous.

Pensey's Medium Hot Chili Powder contains sweet ancho chili peppers, cayenne peppers, paprika, cumin, garlic and Mexican oregano. That would be listed from highest proportion to lowest, but understandably, they don't reveal the proportions. In general "chili powder" indicates a blended product with lots more than chiles. Something labeled "Ancho Chili Powder" might have some salt added, but the only chile in it would be Ancho. Same with Cayenne. Here in the States "Cayenne Pepper" is ground cayenne peppers and salt...no other capsicums.

While some folks in the States make a distinction between chili (the soup like dish) and chile (the hot peppers), it's been done wrong for so long by so many that you can't count on it. :lol:

If you're trying to duplicate this blend using Asian rather than Mexican chiles, Ancho is a relatively mild heat pepper, with a bit of fruitiness, allowed to mature to red, then dried and powdered. Cayenne is a long thin-walled pepper that can really pack some heat. The long thin Chinese and Thai peppers are hotter, but just.
Jeff
Medium BGE, Large BGE, 22.5" Weber Kettle and brand new Q3200
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

i just made 2 different powders out of my last of the season chilies. ( got them potted just before the 1st frost hit )

smoked and dried scorpion butch T's and dried rainbow thai chilies.
the butch T's are wonderful aroma and bang bang on the heat. beautiful dark smokey colour.
the thai powder is very much like the cayanne pepper and not as hot as the butch Ts but still pack a good heat hit.
flavor of both are superb.

can not wait for next season.....i have some carolina reapers and black tongue scorpions to play with as well as the above.

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
LooseSox

Post by LooseSox »

Bentley

Post by Bentley »

See if you can source "New Mexico" chili powder. It is not hot, usually made from Hatch Chili's, which are very mild. They are both green and red. Most use the red because of the color for the powder.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

SnappDaddy

Post by SnappDaddy »

Check out the recipe on amazingribs.com http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pas ... owder.html
I find this to be a great recipe. You can even just modify it to use ancho and chipotle in the mix and it turns out a treat.
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi, I've been making a few Chili blends for over 30 years, the one I use the most is my Mountain Mick's 4 Striped Chili blend

it is made up of 4 different flavored chili type powders

Habanero powder
Cayenne Pepper
Hot Paprika
hot Chili powder (Serrano chilli)

the mix is up to you.

Mountain Mick
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com