Sustainability

Any general items, polls
aussieant32

Sustainability

Post by aussieant32 »

G'day guys and gals

So Imhve tried my best to be sustainable in life, mainly with my foods etc. Currently I bake all my own bread, try and use 100% of all the products I use (meat and veg for example). However, I still don't feel happy. I still feel I rely on the 'shops' way too much.

I don't have a massive amount of room, however, I want to try and do more. The problem is I don't know what. I have access to gardens at work I can grow some more veg in which I intend to start doing. I am thinking of starting a compost heap there as well.

One thing I really want to try and move into it small goods. Things I can make now and store etc.

I don't know, probably rambling a bit now, hopefully I made a bit of sense :p
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
Gumb

Re: Sustainability

Post by Gumb »

Interesting topic. My wife grows a fair amount of herbs, vegies etc in the garden, mainly in planter boxes on the back deck, while i concentrate on the outdoor cooking. She's a health nut and I'm fed a constant supply of stuff she says is good for me ! :D Our neighbour grows pumpkins so we get a few of them and make pumpkin soup this time of the year. We have a compost bin which is full of worms and all the vegie peelings go in there. I suppose the limiting factors are available garden space and time.

But as far as avoiding processed and packaged foods full of preservatives, colour additives etc, she is manic about it. While I have my BBQs, she has her Thermomix. In fact she's just bought a second bowel for it and it gets used every day without fail. I know they cost a bomb (around $2K) but in the 2 years we've had it, we would have saved a lot of money and certainly eat well and healthily. We make things like our own bread, pizza dough, breakfast cereals, yoghurt, vegie stock, vegetable and fruit smoothies which all save money and are better for you. But then there's all the things she cooks with it and tonight it's a seafood chowder. We wouldn't be without it. ( We are not distributors either, so no have commercial interest :) )
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

Well that's it mate. It's not just about money, but also about waste and the environment. Main bbq step was to move to lump from brickettes.

I mean it just seems to me I have to visit the shops every time I want to cook. I use butchers and veg shops sure, but still. I think I might get a compost going at work especially for the veg garden.

I'm thinking I am going to start with getting some produce going, then move onto ways to use them
Jars

Post by Jars »

aussieant32 wrote:Well that's it mate. It's not just about money, but also about waste and the environment. Main bbq step was to move to lump from brickettes.

I mean it just seems to me I have to visit the shops every time I want to cook. I use butchers and veg shops sure, but still. I think I might get a compost going at work especially for the veg garden.

I'm thinking I am going to start with getting some produce going, then move onto ways to use them
I tried a compost bin but really wasn't a fan of how long it took for it to compost! So I got worms! From a lovely fella on Gumtree, and made a home fro them out of a couple of styrofoam boxes. They get all the vege scraps we don't give our chooks, and they turn it into the most amazing fertilizer ever. The other day I was feeding them and noticed something had started growning in their box, which is pitch black. It was a carrot! Growing in the dark! That's gotta say something there.
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Same here, we've had tomatos and potatoes start to sprout in the compost bin.
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

Might something to look at, I have unlimited styro boxes at work.

So just soil, worms and scraps being fed?
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Have you got chooks Ant? They are great recyclers and don't need a heck of a lot of space in the garden. Just don't get too many like I did or you'll also be giving eggs away like there's no tomorrow. The thing I like about chooks is the fertiliser is great to add to the compost, which in turn is fantastic for the garden/vegie patch. They eat your scraps and you get the best eggs in return. They do cost more to keep than buying organic eggs, but they are also pets so it evens out.
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

I've been reading about aquaponics a little lately, it's a great idea raising fish and them In turn feeding a garden. Some people get extraordinary results.

My main problem is the local possums, my chilli garden didn't last 2 nights :|
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

no, I live in an apartment unfortunately.

Work is where I will be able to do most of my 'things'. I run a 30,000 sqm office complex so have lots of nooks and crannies to hide things in :P
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

As it stands I am looking at 3 things:

1. A way to turn fruit veg trimmings etc into something a bit more useful than landfill.
2. The same as 1 but with meat. There is only so much soup/stock I can hold so thinking of things I can make.
3. Preserving, making a bit of a larder for friends and family for out of season fruits.
Jars

Post by Jars »

aussieant32 wrote:Might something to look at, I have unlimited styro boxes at work.

So just soil, worms and scraps being fed?
Yup, pretty much mate. Take one box and put some holes in the bottom, and then put a piece of shade cloth in the bottom, or some news paper. Then chuck in some soil, scraps and worms and a little water if too dry. Then bang the lid on and put it on top of another foam box, without a lid, to catch all the good juices that will flow out.
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

Sounds like it might be a plan.

I also always see my fruit and veg shop with a box of veg cheap as. Basically no longer for the shelf.

Going to start taking advantage of it for preserving
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

just harvested my lemon tree at work. About 30 lemons and a good 30 more not ready yet.

Thinking of making some lemon curd and maybe some preserved lemon skins with them.

Might even stretch to a few in a carona as well :P
gnol

Post by gnol »

How about some bee hives at the work gardens?
Is that feasible?
I run a couple of hives and they are very rewarding. And you get honey, wax etc.

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Check your local council....ours subsidies the purchase of a work farm.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!