My crossroads in bbq.

Any general items, polls
rosecran
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:05 pm
Location: Western Sydney NSW

Re: My crossroads in bbq.

Post by rosecran » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:05 pm

Lovey wrote: Thanks Rosecran,
I’ve had a few suggestions to stick it out with the weber, and you have put an interesting spin on that one. What sort of temperature control are you referring to?
Wang's QMaster Junior


Lovey
Forum Moderator
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:15 pm
Location: South Coast NSW

Re: My crossroads in bbq.

Post by Lovey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:39 pm

Thanks Rosecran, I'll check it out.
Steve.

Narmnaleg
Posts: 1323
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:45 pm
Location: Sydney, NSW, AU

Re: My crossroads in bbq.

Post by Narmnaleg » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:48 pm

Lovey, it sounds like you might be severely limited by fuel availability, but I don't fully get it because Bunnings, any spit hire place, ever charcoal chicken shops are good sources of lump. If lump sourcing is a problem then I guess pellets are also out of the question?
If you can find a reliable source of lump then my recommendation goes to the Kamado. It is the cheapest solution as far as running costs go. They are also easier to manage temp wise than a kettle, though they still need some skill. Their moisture retention is second to none and are extremely versatile.

FirePlay
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: My crossroads in bbq.

Post by FirePlay » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:08 am

alimac23 wrote:Hey guys todds party hire in moreley does lump at a decent price, 20kg bags for $30
Hey thanks!

That's a decent price - better than anything else I've seen and gets better with volume - I'm guessing it's mangrove?

Do Bunnies still sell Akorns or have I missed that boat? Would be just my luck...

alimac23

My crossroads in bbq.

Post by alimac23 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:25 am

Hey fireplay it is mangrove, I think some of the guys said there was still stock that they were running out in Bunnings, think I also read that they were getting them back in stock next summer, give Joondalup or one of the other bigger stores a call, you might get lucky

Lovey
Forum Moderator
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:15 pm
Location: South Coast NSW

Re: My crossroads in bbq.

Post by Lovey » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:13 am

Narmnaleg wrote:Lovey, it sounds like you might be severely limited by fuel availability, but I don't fully get it because Bunnings, any spit hire place, ever charcoal chicken shops are good sources of lump. If lump sourcing is a problem then I guess pellets are also out of the question?
G'day Narmnaleg and thanks for your reply,
I can get lump, its just that it costs $5 a kg from BBQ's galore. Our local bunnings is something that you have to see to believe, it's not very big and they only bbq fuel they have is heat beads. Heaps of there other items are 'special orders'. There is a big bunnings at Ulladulla (45 mins away) but I haven't seen lump charcoal there either, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. As a weird conundrum, my local BBQ's galore is a Hark dealer, so they can get the GMG pellets in for the normal retail price.
If you can find a reliable source of lump then my recommendation goes to the Kamado. It is the cheapest solution as far as running costs go. They are also easier to manage temp wise than a kettle, though they still need some skill. Their moisture retention is second to none and are extremely versatile.
I hadn't thought of komados initially, mainly due to living in a lump void :lol: . If I can find a reliable affordable source of lump, a komado may advance up the ladder.
Thanks again,
Steve.

Narmnaleg
Posts: 1323
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:45 pm
Location: Sydney, NSW, AU

Re: My crossroads in bbq.

Post by Narmnaleg » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:34 am

Lovey wrote:I hadn't thought of komados initially, mainly due to living in a lump void :lol: . If I can find a reliable affordable source of lump, a komado may advance up the ladder.
Thanks again,
Steve.
Sorry to hear about this sad state of charcoal affairs in an otherwise lovely part of the world ;) The good news is that a 20kg bag of charcoal will last you yonks in a kamado. It is miles more economical than any other alternative for low and slow. Perhaps you can find a good supplier that can deliver at a reasonable cost or stock up on your next trip to Canberra? I must admit I'm probably biased as I really don't like using beads or briquettes and much prefer lump.

Lovey
Forum Moderator
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:15 pm
Location: South Coast NSW

Re: My crossroads in bbq.

Post by Lovey » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:49 am

Narmnaleg wrote: Sorry to hear about this sad state of charcoal affairs in an otherwise lovely part of the world ;) The good news is that a 20kg bag of charcoal will last you yonks in a kamado. It is miles more economical than any other alternative for low and slow. Perhaps you can find a good supplier that can deliver at a reasonable cost or stock up on your next trip to Canberra? I must admit I'm probably biased as I really don't like using beads or briquettes and much prefer lump.
Oh well, there's a small price to pay for living in such a beautiful part of the world 8) .
Out of interest, what is a reasonable price to pay for lump charcoal?
Thanks again.

Gumb

Re: My crossroads in bbq.

Post by Gumb » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:14 pm

I work on the premise that anything at $1.50 per kg is great and generally under $2 per kg is worth buying.

Lovey
Forum Moderator
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:15 pm
Location: South Coast NSW

Re: My crossroads in bbq.

Post by Lovey » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:39 pm

Thanks Gumb,
Now I've got an idea of what a decent price is.
Steve

alimac23

My crossroads in bbq.

Post by alimac23 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:35 pm

Lovey wrote:Thanks Gumb,
Now I've got an idea of what a decent price is.
Steve
To give you an idea of how economical a kamado is, I cook nearly every evening on mine and then usually a brisket or pork shoulder at the weekends.

I'm just getting to the bottom of my second 20kg bag which I bought mid December.

$60 for 4 months worth of reasonably heavy cooking.

Gumb

Re: My crossroads in bbq.

Post by Gumb » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:02 pm

sounds like an addiction to me :D

Ain't it fun !

Steaksy
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:39 pm

Re: My crossroads in bbq.

Post by Steaksy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:07 pm

If its of any help mate I got a Pro Q Excel 20 about a month ago and love it best thing I've bought. Last Saturday I did a 13 hour brisket took about 20mins or so to get it up to temp using the minion method with the water pan full (holds about 9 litres) I think. Over the next 8-10 hours I topped the water pan up maybe twice and added a couple of bigger lumps of coal about 8 hours in (I was also cooking ribs and a few other bits so needed to keep it firing). Once you've got them set and stable you can easily set and forget for 3-4 hours no worries and they produce magnificent low and slow cue.

One thing that drew me to the Proq Excel 20 was it versatility from breaking it down to a neat portable kettle perfect for day trips and camping to adding a third stacker giving you the ability to cook 40 odd kilos of meat (bring on Christmas lunch) to adding a rotisserie attachment plus the cold smoke generator as well.

Steaksy
ProQ Excel Elite 20, Maverick ET-735, Dragon Hibachi, Gasser

urbangriller
Posts: 9453
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: Perth WA

Re: My crossroads in bbq.

Post by urbangriller » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:27 pm

Steaksy wrote:If its of any help mate I got a Pro Q Excel 20 about a month ago and love it best thing I've bought. Last Saturday I did a 13 hour brisket took about 20mins or so to get it up to temp using the minion method with the water pan full (holds about 9 litres) I think. Over the next 8-10 hours I topped the water pan up maybe twice and added a couple of bigger lumps of coal about 8 hours in (I was also cooking ribs and a few other bits so needed to keep it firing). Once you've got them set and stable you can easily set and forget for 3-4 hours no worries and they produce magnificent low and slow cue.

One thing that drew me to the Proq Excel 20 was it versatility from breaking it down to a neat portable kettle perfect for day trips and camping to adding a third stacker giving you the ability to cook 40 odd kilos of meat (bring on Christmas lunch) to adding a rotisserie attachment plus the cold smoke generator as well.

Steaksy
+ 1 that!
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

Golly
Posts: 566
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:00 am
Location: Central Coast NSW

Re: My crossroads in bbq.

Post by Golly » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:33 am

kettle or quit :wink:
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!

TEAM WKC 1st chicken 4th beef 7th pork ribs 5th overall port macquarie march 2014


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests