Opinion of using commercial rubs and sauces in BBQ Competion

Any general items, polls
Timwc

Opinion of using commercial rubs and sauces in BBQ Competion

Post by Timwc »

Shouldn't you make your own rubs and sauces for a BBQ competion?
urbangriller

Re: Opinion of using commercial rubs and sauces in BBQ Compe

Post by urbangriller »

Timwc wrote:Shouldn't you make your own rubs and sauces for a BBQ competion?
You should make your own, competition or not!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Jars

Post by Jars »

I don't have an issue with it. I make my own, but also use commercial. It's not all about the rubs, it's also about the skill it takes to cook the meat.
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Do what you want, there are no rules about using homemade/competition rubs
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Bingo!

I make my own injections for my Competition Butt and Brisket just because I can do it better then anything I can find commercially. But sauces, man, I quit making them 10 years ago, just to easy to buy something and doctor it. Some consider that a type of home made, I don't. When we stated competing 13 years ago, 1st thing I would ask was the Reps is...how many of the judges were CBJ's (Certified BBQ Judge). This was in 2003, 2004...in California, Competitions were just starting to take off and the judging pool was small, there was never 100% CBJ at that time, and many times more non-CBJ then certified...When it was more "Average Joe" judge then CBJ...guess what came out and went on the meat, KC Masterpiece...Yep, there was a reason it was the No 1 selling BBQ sauce in American and I used that to my advantage. I truly believe that more then one 1st place was obtained by doing that...now days, probably would not fly...It has probably been 5 or more years since I have been to a Competition where it is not 100% CBJ...No as much about your judging pool as you can at each Competition...it makes a difference!
Hogsy wrote:Do what you want, there are no rules about using homemade/competition rubs
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Making your own is a matter of opinion.

In the past 3 years I've tasted many Rubs & sauces, both homemade & those made for resale. I have to say without any doubt that in my opinion, those made for resale give the best & most consistent result.

Just about all the teams I watched in the US were using branded rubs & sauces

As Hogsy said, you can do what you want as there are no rules about this, everyone to their own.

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
beermee

Post by beermee »

People are free do do whatever they like (unless the competition rules state otherwise).

Personally, I enjoy making my own rubs and sauces - and I think they taste better / fresher aswell. I haven't found a commercial rub that comes close to some of the homemade rubs and sauces I make. And I don't have secret ingredients/recipes - I just follow recipes that are in the popular US BBQ style cookbooks and alot of them are absolutely fantastic....

Gary
Note that: Gary is posting on the Aussie BBQ Forum as: 'SmokeKingBBQs' (as a vendor) and 'beermee' (as a personal account)

WarmBeer

Post by WarmBeer »

We had a similar issue with homebrewed beer competitions recently.

A couple of people got their noses out of joint because they were beaten by other brewers using kits (a can of pre-hopped extract) and "tarting" them up, as opposed to brewing from scratch.

The general consensus was, if your beer is not as good as a can of extract that has been de-hydrated, then rehydrated, prior to fermentation, the problem is with you, not the person entering the kit brew.

I say, let 'em use store bought sauces/rubs/whatever.
Dragon Kamado | Weber OTS | Hark (Aldi) Smoker | Rusty Gasser
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

i make a bbq sauce where the ingredients consist of 2 or 3 commercial sauces. at what point does it stop being a commercial sauce and start being home made?
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

The main sauce I use is a mix of herbs/spices/chillis etc with pasatta and vinegar and so on. I make the pasatta myself from my tomatoes but if I used a store bought I still would not feel it is commercial as the sauce is nothing like pasatta.

There is no line of definition, how can there be? It will be a personal opinion. To me if you buy a commercial sauce and then tweak it, it's still 'commercial'. If you buy a commercial sauce and change it dramatically it is not. That then begs the point of why buy it in the first place, why not make your own anyway?

To the question of this thread, however, use whatever you like! If a commercial sauce has a flavour profile you like, use it. Competition or not. I actually really like brushing my wings with a cut down Nando's sauce. Way to much emphasis put on sauces for me, as the good, no great Andrew Zimmern says. If it looks good, eat it!
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Excellent question. I consider it home made, when everything is from scratch...that means no ketchup as a base, if I want tomato base in it I need to use sauce or paste...my 2cebts...that is why I quit doing it...mine was not as good a Good Ole Kraft Original...which I consider to be the best BBQ sauce made!
Zorba wrote:i make a bbq sauce where the ingredients consist of 2 or 3 commercial sauces. at what point does it stop being a commercial sauce and start being home made?
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Bentley wrote:Excellent question. I consider it home made, when everything is from scratch...that means no ketchup as a base, if I want tomato base in it I need to use sauce or paste...my 2cebts...that is why I quit doing it...mine was not as good a Good Ole Kraft Original...which I consider to be the best BBQ sauce made!
Zorba wrote:i make a bbq sauce where the ingredients consist of 2 or 3 commercial sauces. at what point does it stop being a commercial sauce and start being home made?
do you make your own worstechire sauce, mollasses, mustard etc?
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

No I don't, but I never used any of those 3 in my sauces...If the rule for home made is you have to make (from the ground up) all ingredients in your sauce...I can guarantee you there is no one making home made!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

which isnt what you said previously.

does that mean that if making something from scratch is too much of a pain in the ass (worstershire etc) then its ok to use commercial?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Zorba wrote:which isnt what you said previously.

does that mean that if making something from scratch is too much of a pain in the ass (worstershire etc) then its ok to use commercial?
I think Bentley is referring to the fact that the sauces most people make are blends of commercial sauces with herbs, spice sugars etc added. Most people are not going to make the ketchup etc from scratch as well.

Very few will actually make a sauce from completely raw ingredients.

If you do want to make Worcestershire, give this a go!

HOMEMADE WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE

2 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 large onions, roughly chopped
½ cup Tamarind Paste
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons minced ginger
2 jalapenos, seeds removed and minced
3 tablespoons chopped anchovies
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 whole cloves
2 tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper
½ cup dark corn syrup
1 cup molasses
3 cups white vinegar
1 cup dark beer
½ cup orange juice
2 cups water
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 lime, thinly sliced

In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft, about 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in the tamarind paste, garlic, ginger, and jalapenos and cook for 5 more minutes. Add the anchovies, tomato paste, cloves, pepper, corn syrup, molasses, white vinegar, dark beer, orange juice, water, lemon and lime. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 hours, or until it coats the back of a spoon.

Strain the mixture and refrigerate.

Try changing the ingredients to suit your own taste, I like to add Star Anise and chillies.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!