Public warning on portable butane ‘lunchbox’ cookers

Post by titch »

Cheers
Titch
Smokey

Re: Public warning on portable butane ‘lunchbox’ cookers

Post by Smokey »

This is massive, Chuck it on AQ Titch
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
titch

Post by titch »

Smokey wrote:This is massive, Chuck it on AQ Titch
Whats AQ?

I have melted 2 of these so far, one using it as a Coal starter with my Chimney.
The other was cooking a steak using cast iron plate. This one the Dial seized because it got so hot.
Cheers
Titch
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

I've tipped one over the side of a boat once apon a time after a flame up.
Won't be doing that again.
My forum Titch, slap slap, Better it comes from you
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Hmm,

I've been a casual user of these for decades and so have several friends, never seen any issues so long as common sense prevails - unfortunately as UG says every post that's sort of rare :)

They are about as simple as it gets unless you wanted to include a plumber's brazing torch and have no aspirations to be anything other than a simple cooking burner ring.

I'd suspect one of two things, possibly both, folks trying to use them beyond their intent or a rogue cheapie from Asia loose on the market.

I can understand the concern Smokey but the Nanny state has one hell of a tendency to get up my nose sometimes, life and the tools we use to make it a bit easier is not always the safest thing. I don't have and have no intention to ever have a Kamado, but from what I gather open one when it is running and you might run into a flame wall ? Anyone banning those ? :)

All over the world Korean restaurants in particular use these things at the table, had a meal involving a couple of them just two weeks ago. I really do think if they were as dangerous as this authority wants to make out we'd have known long ago.

Cheers
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Totaly onto that, But law is law, They are banned. How that came about could be pressure from gas company's I suspect and this is the first I've heard it. Yes nanny state but will be interesting what happens.
Stevem109r

Post by Stevem109r »

I don't think they're banned. They are not to be sold.
Nath

Post by Nath »

In NSW. It'll be ten years before WA does anything about it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Twenty years for Queensland :roll:
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

I don't think its so much the nanny state interfering as a matter of protecting some people from their own ineptitude. Legislators unfortunately have to aim at the lowest common denominator. Those people who would have won a Darwin award if not for OH&S rules.

I've seen these things being used with massive great pans or pots on them that allow the heat to reflect back onto the cartridge allowing for expansion past the tolerance of the seams and then bang. I've seen a house that had been sub let by the tenants and each room had been divided into smaller rooms ending up with 22 people living in the house. Each "cell" had one of these going in it. Then there's the people blowing themselves and their neighbours up using them to cook up drugs.

I was discussing these with my boss this morning and he told me how his son ( a licensed plumber) had one out the other day testing it and the cartridge had an issue, when he hit the igniter the entire garage floor lit up.

Most things used responsibly are OK if they are proven to be made to a standard. The practice of some large retailers telling the manufacturer the price point they want to sell them at and the margin they expect to make out of them results in some fairly shoddy products being released into the marketplace.

They'll be back on the market, our desire for convenience and instant results demands it.

Next time they will be tested and less likely to end up in tears.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

No wonder the Butane canisters were cheap at Masters yesterday......not a lot of use for them with the stoves off the market!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Actually I buy the canisters by the case because with a plastic adapter it's the least expensive way to buy gas for my field soldering iron :)

Cheers
AussieBBQSmoke

Post by AussieBBQSmoke »

Fortunately, there is no mention in the Warning to prohibit use of the many portable Blowtorch adapters that fit on to these $1 disposable Butane cans. They are very handy for lighting Charcoal, Fireplaces, Bonfires, and Soldering. Chefs use them for doing many things like Crème brûlée. I met a fisherman who cooks his fresh caught fish by hanging it on a branch with the chest of the fish splayed open, then Blowtorches both sides for about 2 mins.

The only danger in the portable Blowtorches that I've found, is that if you invert it in the 1st minute, the gas flow has not become consistent yet and a giant air/gas flame shoots out. This flareup can give you a fright, but it makes for a good party trick or a showy way to light your BBQ, just put the can back upright until the flow stabilises and then you can tip it upside down safely.

If they are going cheap, it may be a good time to stock up for your Blowtorch.
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Every single one of these that I have used as a chimney starter has melted on first use. I thought it was just me having it up too high for too long, but at least I know there's something in it now.
AussieBBQSmoke

Post by AussieBBQSmoke »

If using a Butane Camp Stove or BBQ Wok side Burner to start your Charcoal Chimney, take it off after 5 mins max and put it on the ground to continue lighting all the coals. Leaving it on the burner and allowing the charcoal heat to radiate downwards, is what's cooking the cookers.