Best overall butcher for American cuts

Any general items, polls
bbqnewB

Post by bbqnewB »

Whats the tip for which butcher you can consistently walk into and not get a blank stare when asking for the following:

1. Tri-Tip (I have been offered Girello)
2. Hanger Steak ("No we don't usually hang our meat too long")
3. The Point and Flat parts of a Brisket ("The only part of the brisket is the flat")
4. Full length beef ribs (not the little chopped up asado)

Extra points if the butcher is within 15 mins of Bentleigh !
henry

Post by henry »

My advice is to show your local butcher photos on your phone. It worked for me when buying the beef ribs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Against GST on fresh produce which will increase your cost of Bbqing? Love to hear your thoughts here below.
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=13615
harcl656

Re: Best overall butcher for American cuts

Post by harcl656 »

There's a butcher (Greg) at Seaview meats in Beaumaris - balcombe rd that does a great pork front shoulder, he'll also cut longer ribs and does full brisket - you have to order it and the quality often depends on the size of the cattle he is processing. The main problem in aus is that compared to the USA our animals seem to get slaughtered at lighter weights. This is especially true for pork.

As the last post states, best to find a good one and then educate them, that's what i have done.

Costco is the best place in Melbourne I have found for Pork Ribs.
Freerange

Post by Freerange »

bbqnewB wrote:Whats the tip for which butcher you can consistently walk into and not get a blank stare when asking for the following:

1. Tri-Tip (I have been offered Girello)
2. Hanger Steak ("No we don't usually hang our meat too long")
3. The Point and Flat parts of a Brisket ("The only part of the brisket is the flat")
4. Full length beef ribs (not the little chopped up asado)

Extra points if the butcher is within 15 mins of Bentleigh !
Did you have any luck with finding a good butcher near Bentleigh?
beaver

Post by beaver »

bbqnewB wrote:1. Tri-Tip (I have been offered Girello)
Tritip is an american cut and most butchers have no idea.
show them this picture, its part of the sirloin cap
bbqnewB wrote:2. Hanger Steak ("No we don't usually hang our meat too long")
Hanger steak is known by quite a few names and is VERY often not avaliable to low turnover butchers.
Should a butcher get a full head of cattle as well as specifically ask for the hangar to be left on then you are lucky. Often the hanger is removed/stolen from either the knackery or sometimes even the delivery drivers.
ask for it by these names
- Hanger steak, Butchers steak, butchers cut, Skirt or onglet.
its only about 400-600g of meat and there is only 1 (not 2) on each head. some butchers will throw it into mince so you may get lucky.
bbqnewB wrote:3. The Point and Flat parts of a Brisket ("The only part of the brisket is the flat")
most cattle you dont want the brisket to be truthful. in australia we tend to butcher fairly small head of cattle due to it being the most cost efficient HOWEVER if you ask your butcher to let you know if/when they get access to a full ox then let them know you want the brisket (point end)
alternatively you can ask your butcher to order packer or boxed brisket from a supplier. some of the better briskets i have tried and can recommend are.
Cape Grimm, Sher, Red Rock, Black Rock all of which do packer briskets.
These cuts can vary from $7 to $30 per KG but usually around the 12-15 mark.
if your local butcher is unsure let me know as i can tell you which suppliers he/she can get it through (delica meats is one of them)
bbqnewB wrote:4. Full length beef ribs (not the little chopped up asado)
these shouldnt be that hard however you need to order ahead. your traditional ribs from the section you want have the rib, a layer of meat then the brisket flat on top.

ask for the "beef back ribs" and get them in lots of 3 to 5
they are the cut just below the ribeye on the bone rack
the area you want is the middle section where the butcher doesnt miss out on the ribeye on the bone
Dave

Post by Dave »

I've Direct Flame Grilled way more Hanger steak on my Pellet Grill than any other cut of Beef in the past 18 months, partly because I just love the flavour, but also because it pars so incredibly well with one of the US Rubs we have.

In my opinion Hanger ( Onglet ) is just streets ahead of most of the other cuts, loads of members here have tried it & I was cooking it up & handing out samples at the BBQ Competition up in Port Macquarie not long ago.

Im now on the search for the even rarer to find "Spider" Steak - Meatman told me about it, but I haven't tried this cut as yet. As soon as I get some I will post up pics.

Melbourne folk should really give Berties Butcher a go in Richmond, Beaver holds their Master Classes for them :D

Cheers, Dave
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
Importing Louisiana Pellet Grills into Australia
http://www.louisiana-grills-australia.com.au/
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
chriso

Post by chriso »

I get tri tip steaks from Costco. There's a butcher at the Vic market who stocks cape grim, they had hanger steaks last time I was there and could get briskets in for you. I can never remember their name but they're the first on the right if you enter from Elizabeth street.
beaver

Post by beaver »

dont ask berties for hanger steak, thats being saved for me ;)
Percel

Post by Percel »

:shock: :shock:

My brother knows a dude in melbs of a property who'll sort whatever you need, I'll get onto him.
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

Those photos are great can you please draw a line on the photo of the ribs of where to do the cuts I will print it and give to my butcher
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

food&fish wrote:Those photos are great can you please draw a line on the photo of the ribs of where to do the cuts I will print it and give to my butcher
Anybody please
beaver

Post by beaver »

Hey champ, sorry I don't have a picture editor
steve78

Post by steve78 »

I have said this before, but for folks in SE Qld, can't go past the Goodna butcher i use for American cuts. Pork spares and baby backs, tri tip, brisket, beef ribs, hangers and butts. He knows his stuff and discounts heavily for return customers.

Steve
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

Ok here we go what two lines to cu ton
LA1

Post by LA1 »

Tri Tip is the tail of the Rump(Yanks call Rump 'Top Sirloin')
Short ribs are a standard cut on Australian meat charts. You just need to have your butcher remove the top muscle layer.
Not that it matters but Hanger(Onglet) is more a French cut. Flap(Bavette) is another great French bistro cut, highly recommend it.

Check out some Australian and MLA meat cut charts or have a look at the new 'rare medium' website