Its Quiet on this Board

Any general items, polls
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Its Quiet on this Board

Post by Davo »

coz nobody cares anymore and I've given up trying to keep it going......a forum is only as good as it's members and they've all left the building

not much more I can do here anymore... :roll:
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Cobblerdave

Post by Cobblerdave »

G’day Davo
Sorry but it’s a bit of a forum thing. Please don’t take it personal. They aren’t that popular anymore. Aussiecue very quiet as well ....sometimes I think I’m talking to myself.
This place is still a great resource missing pics and all.
Regards Dave
titch

Post by titch »

I still look in every couple of days, I got sick of talking to myself tho
Cheers
Titch
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Been rather busy at work with this pandemic, haven't done much BBQing, just a bit here n there, so I haven't been real active anywhere on the www lately.

Yes many forums have gone quiet for many reasons but mostly many people just want fast answers and feedback.

Even the real glossy forums aren't as busy as before.

And sometimes there's only some topics that can be covered......people's lives have changed and they've moved on to other things.

Maybe I need a new life :lol:

Anyway Cobbler and Titch, hope your both keeping safe during this pandemic, in order to keep working I have to go and get tested every 3 days, a real pain in the nostrils :lol:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
titch

Post by titch »

Lockdown again, just as I was finishing the Campertrailer off
might go smoke some Shanks
Cheers
Titch
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Sounds like a good tasty plan Titch, do you take a smoker or charcoal grill camping with you?

Victoria is looking attractive to myself and wife, we were looking at Gold Coast to retire but I think there'd be more for me to do in Victoria.

Camping, bicycle and/or Motorcycle touring, I have some Motorcycling friends from Maryborough, metal detecting in the Goldfields even.

We're not too sure when it'll happen with all these multiple lockdowns, we're over 6 weeks now and it's not looking good.

losing battle trying to keep sane in this particular time....

Titch, do you go camping much? where do you enjoy camping, coast or Mountains?

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Good to see a few people around on the forum.

It's pretty dead on quite a few of the once popular forums.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

12x7 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:01 pm Good to see a few people around on the forum.

It's pretty dead on quite a few of the once popular forums.
In the time that this forum was made, there was nothing in Australia, we had to rely on being members of huge American forums some of which are still going strong because they pull from a huge population from a Culture that runs deep in BBQ right back to the Pilgrim days.

Eventually no-one will come here, we still get a lot of lookers but not many contributors, same as SF&F, one day many will just disappear as there's just so much you can talk about in a hobby, even the FB Forum content has slowed down a lot these days coz many are kind of burnt out with it all, Covid may have had an impact as you can't have people over.
I don't know what will become of the Australian BBQ Comps after just about all have been cancelled.

These days I just use my Weber kettles in my yard if and when i get the urge, maybe once or twice a Month, maybe post a pic or two on my FB page of my cook ups, they are still a bit popular amongst my group of friends. family and workmates.

Meat is getting so bloody expensive these days so I think that that might be slowing people down on BBQ forums, internet and life in general.

There could be many reasons but it's not just the BBQ forums that are quite, many other forums have slow or dead periods or have almost come to a dead stop just like here.

I also have other hobbies that I'd like to pursue.....when i can get out of my front yard :roll:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

I get the feeling there's still lots of BBQ'ers out there.

They just enjoy cooking and can't be bothered with forums, Facebook etc.

People love to live stream eg. Tiktok and Facetime nowadays.

Each generation has it's fads. This forum was there during the ups and down of the BBQ era when for most, it was exciting and new with new types of BBQ's and cooking techniques being introduced to Australia.

This forum has the journey from simple snags on the plate to evolve to pellet, kamados etc.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yes 12 X 7, you are probably right.

One major thing besides having to deal with everyone's egos was the way Photobucket screwed many forums by taking away the 3rd party photo sharing and leaving gaping big holes in posts.

We found a way here to load pics directly into the forum from your computer but by then it was too late, the horses had bolted.

But I s'posed nothing is forever but most posts will be on the interwebs for many years, I guess if you googled something bbq related, there's be a certain amount of old posts from here that will be found.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
titch

Post by titch »

And today ,my wife is doing lamb shanks with her first snake method
I may say,thanks to this site,.
For interest, we are making Navajo fried bread Tacos
Cheers
Titch
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

It's good to see the wife enjoying BBQ.

I got the Akorn Kamado out the other day. Dusted her off from her winter hibernation. It has been living outside and got a bit rusty. I have a shed for it now so it's not getting weather beaten anymore. It ended up with a HUGE dent in the front. Lucky it's made of metal. Got the hammer out and straightened it out. Did a test run and clean out at 350C. Smoked just like Puffing Billie and still is pretty air tight.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Sure is dead out there in forum land now that the Covid restrictions are lifting.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

What about SF&F? I see Chris (UG) is on Schueys FB page at times.

I think many of the traditional forums are very quiet these days...I've given up.....just about :roll:

I even see FB groups go quiet too.....times have changed.....everyone knows everything :lol:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

People have moved on to the next fad. TikTok is where the action is.