Emergency rub

SAUCES, RUBS, MARINADES, BRINES ETC
peteru

Emergency rub

Post by peteru »

I was visiting the in-laws at their farm last week and at the last minute decided to bring a rump cap with me. When it was time to cook the meat, I wanted to add some flavour, but the pantry was pretty light on anything usable. A few jars of various seasonings that had use by dates in 2004 and 2006 and turned into solid lumps of rancid mess. It was time to scrounge up whatever I could. In the end I found a thyme bush and some cloves in the pantry and created this:

* 2 teaspoons of sugar
* 4 teaspoons of salt
* 5 cloves
* 5 largish twigs of fresh thyme

Into the mortar and crush the first three ingredients until the cloves turn into powder, the strip the thyme leaves and give them a gentle massage as well, just to release some flavour.

Use as a rub about 20-30 minutes before the meat goes on the BBQ. Turned out surprisingly good.

Re: Emergency rub

Post by Deano »

Sounds great. Do you BBQ your rump cap with the fat side up (the whole time) and in direct?

I have a couple in the freezer and haven't cooked them before.
20" RadarHill Reverse Flow Offset, a few Webers, Wood Fire Pizza Oven, Camp Oven.
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

It's amazing what people can come up with when they have to!
Well done there.

Cheers

Meat and eat
"My mind is made up. Please don't confuse me with facts."
peteru

Post by peteru »

It was a total fireban day and I was stuck with a crappy Everdure gasser. Ended up trimming the membrane from the bottom, then slicing the meat across the grain into thick steaks. Rubbed each steak, gave it about 1/2 hour. Preheated the BBQ to the hottest possible temperature, seared the steaks for about 1 minute on each side, then turned to low and heated through for a few minutes on each side until just springy to the touch. Then rested under alfoil for about 10 minutes. Doing it this way is a bit tricky because as the grain turns, you end up with steaks that are thinner on one side, which means you need to be careful to not overcook the thin end.