Satsuma plum vinegar recipes

SAUCES, RUBS, MARINADES, BRINES ETC
doc dogg

Satsuma plum vinegar recipes

Post by doc dogg »

Hi all,
I bought some satsuma plum vinegar the other day and now I'm not sure what to cook with it or how to use it appropriately. My dad used to make his own satsuma plum wine when we had trees and it tended to get splashed into a lot of our marinades to add a sweet, fruity burst. The vinegar, whilst being delicious, has a bit too much "bite" to be used in the same way. I think it could be a good ingredient if I can just get a few recipes to make it work. Especially a pork marinade or something that would go with a duck breast.
Last edited by doc dogg on Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a real doctor Miss, but I'll have a look anyway.
Mountain Mick

Re: Satuma plum vinegar recipes

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi Doc Dogg,
I would use your Satuma Plum Vinegar in place of white vinegar in these recipes of mine. would work really well, Satsuma Plum aka Blood Plums which are firm red flesh with a red skin plums very nice . MM :P :D :) :lol: :wink: 8)

Mountain Micks Fruity BBQ Sauce
© Mick Blake Baree
1 cup chopped dried dates
1 cup chopped prunes or dried apricots
2 medium onion minced
6 cloves garlic
6 tablespoons tomato paste
½ cup of vinegar
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
½ cup honey
½ cup brown sugar
5 tablespoons mustard
2 teaspoon black pepper
4 teaspoons liquid Hickory smoke (this optional for Smokey sauce)
2 teaspoon basil dried
1 teaspoon sage dried
1 teaspoon thyme dried
¼ teaspoon hot Chilli
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup molasses
Combine all the dry mix together in a bowl;
Sweat down onions till soft and clear and add chopped fruit, now Add the garlic, tomato paste and vinegar. When this has started to simmer add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for 30 plus minutes and reduce to a sauce like consistency that you like I like mine thick so I cook it a little long and bottle while hot. Enjoy MM

Here one I been making for many years now it a family favourite, I also make a Smokey one by add a couple spoons of either Colgin's Natural Liquid Smoke Hickory or Pecan or Apple or Mesquite or a mix of a couple of these to the sauce, Please enjoy

Mountain Micks Chutney BBQ Glaze
© Mountain Micks Mick Blake Baree
make about 3 cups

1 cup vinegar
1 cup chutney, store or homemade
½ cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ginger, ground

In a saucepan combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat
and simmer 15 minutes. Use to baste lamb {Mutton}, Duck, pork or ham the last 15 minutes of grilling.

Mountain Micks Smokey BBQ Sauce
© Mountain Micks Mick Blake Baree
1 medium Brown onion minced
4 cloves garlic
5 tablespoons tomato paste
1 ½ cup of vinegar
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
½ cup honey
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons mustard
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons ™ Colgin liquid smoke (Hickory or Apple)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 tablespoon of ginger powder
1 tablespoon of cumin powder
½ cup molasses
Combine all the dry mix together in a bowl;

While your ribs are cooking prepare the sauce: but you can make bigger batches and bottle for latter use on chicken wings, pork chops etc
sweat onions down till soft and clear. Add the garlic, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar. When this has started to simmer add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer and reduce to a sauce like consistency. I'm telling you how to use it but I love to take my BBQ baby back ribs lay them on foil and pour/brush this sauce all over then wrap up in foil and cook for the last 30 minutes oh mate these are great.

I hope this helps. MM :D :D :D :D

doc dogg wrote:Hi all,
I bought some satuma plum vinegar the other day and now I'm not sure what to cook with it or how to use it appropriately. My dad used to make his own satuma plum wine when we had trees and it tended to get splashed into a lot of our marinades to add a sweet, fruity burst. The vinegar, whilst being delicious, has a bit too much "bite" to be used in the same way. I think it could be a good ingredient if I can just get a few recipes to make it work. Especially a pork marinade or something that would go with a duck breast.
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com
dales133

Satuma plum vinegar recipes

Post by dales133 »

Bump. I'm gonna get back to these look great
twelfthmanshearing

Post by twelfthmanshearing »

Hey Mick, great looking recipes. I want to give these a try. Do you use powdered mustard or prepared mustard from a jar.....dijon, french etc?
Cheers
Adrian
doc dogg

Post by doc dogg »

Thanks Mick,

I realised I has spelled satsuma wrong just after I hit the post button :roll: Lets just blame it on my headache and the crushing realisation that tomorrow is Monday :P

Those sauces look great. I'll give them a go after next pay day.

Edit: Just noticed the edit button too...time to go to sleep I reckon.
I'm not a real doctor Miss, but I'll have a look anyway.
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi twelfthmanshearing

For Mustard I do make home made myself which is equal to a mild to hot English, but prepared mustard from a jar like dijon, french or American mustard is fine my Daughter love these made using Sweet American mustard, please let use know back here how I like or dis-like them feed back is allways welcome. I all so use the Smokey BBQ sauce to made my Spicy BBQ sauce & my Spicy Smokey BBQ. in the both I add 1/2 teaspoon each of Cayene Pepper, Hot Chilli & Hot Paprika, and of cause for the "Spicy BBQ sauce" I leave out the 2 teaspoons ™ Colgin liquid smoke (Hickory or Apple). I hope this helps and that you enjoy my sauces. we love them. MM :D :P :P :D :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: 8) 8)
twelfthmanshearing wrote:Hey Mick, great looking recipes. I want to give these a try. Do you use powdered mustard or prepared mustard from a jar.....dijon, french etc?
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com
twelfthmanshearing

Re: Satsuma plum vinegar recipes

Post by twelfthmanshearing »

Thanks Mick. I give them a try.
Cheers
Adrian
Al_

Re: Satsuma plum vinegar recipes

Post by Al_ »

i picked up some plum vinegar a while back (spirilina brand) . I find it really nice drizzled over pulled pork, and lamb.