American Sauces

SAUCES, RUBS, MARINADES, BRINES ETC
Muppet

American Sauces

Post by Muppet »

Although I've been very impressed with a few of the sauce recipes posted here Ive started to try a few common American ones. The idea is to see what flavor profiles are out there and specificly non chilli profiles that the kids can eat. I don't mind a bit of spice but it's somewhat of a let down when I overdo it and the little ones can't eat it.
First cabs of the rank

Hooters wing sauce medium.
First impressions are really good, if I had to describe it would say it's a sour cream, red capsicum base. Plenty of flavor and like nothing else I've ever tried. Very moorish with floured wings cooked nice and hot. My new go to wing sauce.

Longhorn chipotle
Not as sweet as a few of the local BBQ sauces and a smokey chipotle undertone, I quite like it but it's still a sweet tomato based BBQ sauce. Did some ribs the other night but it's still not what I'm after. It's good, but I'm after more.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
YankQ

Re: American Sauces

Post by YankQ »

I am not sure about distribution, but my all time favorite barbecue sauce is Gates Original from Kansas City. Unlike most American sauces, it is not sickly sweet, nor is it wickedly hot. It's just a touch spicy, with a significant smack of celery seed. It is great on pork, chicken, beef and snags. If you can get your hands on some, it may be what you're looking for...spice without heat and flavor without so much sugar.
Jeff
Medium BGE, Large BGE, 22.5" Weber Kettle and brand new Q3200
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Gates BBQ Sauce Recipe

Found this lurking on the net (as you do).

This recipe was supposedly shared with viewers of the Martha Stewart show by none other than Mr. Ollie Gates himself. It's probably not an exact rendition of the commercially produced sauce, but it is a good domestic version.

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup sugar
* 1/4 cup salt
* 2 tablespoons celery seeds
* 2 tablespoons ground cumin
* 2 tablespoons ground red pepper
* 2 tablespoons garlic powder
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 2 quarts ketchup
* 2 cups apple cider vinegar
* 1-1/2 teaspoons of liquid smoke, hickory flavored
* 1 teaspoon lemon juice

Combine the sugar, salt, celery seeds, cumin, red pepper, garlic powder and chili powder in a small bowl.
Mix the ketchup and remaining ingredients in a large bowl, then stir in the dry ingredients.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Muppet

American Sauces

Post by Muppet »

Thanks gentlemen, I'll check these out!
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
YankQ

Post by YankQ »

Since it is on the shelf of every grocery store in my city and every city around me, I haven't been tempted to try to re-create it. The recipe conjures up flavor memories just about right, except I question the liquid smoke and the amount of sugar. I don't taste the liquid smoke in the bottled sauce at all. I know there's some sweetness to it, but a cup, plus what's in the ketchup seems like more then I detect.
Jeff
Medium BGE, Large BGE, 22.5" Weber Kettle and brand new Q3200
niko123456

Post by niko123456 »

I make the Neely BBQ sauce at home (recipe is easily googled). It's so simple. It's like store bought but actually delicious!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Do you guys have Kraft Original BBQ Sauce over there?
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

overspiceddave

Post by overspiceddave »

Bentley wrote:Do you guys have Kraft Original BBQ Sauce over there?
Not stocked on shelves as far as I know but you can get it.

Dave