Chioptle and Ancho

SAUCES, RUBS, MARINADES, BRINES ETC
alimac23

Chioptle and Ancho

Post by alimac23 »

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has found anywhere in WA that supplies Chipotle and Ancho Chilli's?

I don't mind if they are pre ground or the whole dried chilli so I can grind them myself.

I'm trying to make some rubs out of Ray Lampe's book but a few of them call for these two types of Chilli specifically and i'm having a hard time finding them here in WA.
Smokey

Re: Chioptle and Ancho

Post by Smokey »

The chioptle is the smoked and dried jalopino.
Ancho is the smoked and dried Poblano.
I ordered both seed packs from the US and have them growing now for making exactly what you want them for.
I know WA has heavy restrictions on importing but these spp's are listed by aquis as ok to import as long as they are labled correctly.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
alimac23

Post by alimac23 »

Smokey Mick wrote:The chioptle is the smoked and dried jalopino.
Ancho is the smoked and dried Poblano.
I ordered both seed packs from the US and have them growing now for making exactly what you want them for.
I know WA has heavy restrictions on importing but these spp's are listed by aquis as ok to import as long as they are labled correctly.
Thanks Mick that's good to know, i've got some chilli's on the go at the moment but as you say it might be worth growing some of these types if they are hard to get hold of.
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

alimac23 wrote:Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has found anywhere in WA that supplies Chipotle and Ancho Chilli's?

I don't mind if they are pre ground or the whole dried chilli so I can grind them myself.

I'm trying to make some rubs out of Ray Lampe's book but a few of them call for these two types of Chilli specifically and i'm having a hard time finding them here in WA.
Alimac, there is a supplier who grows and smokes jalapeno and sells bags of chipotle, Mandurah or Kwinana vicinity south of Perth somewhere.
I bought a large bag from her but they had gone too far and were carbonized.
When I communicated that to her she basically said it was my fault for ordering online without seeing what I was getting?
Just a warning.

I think USA foods also carry them but are often out of stock.
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
alimac23

Post by alimac23 »

Buccaneer wrote:
alimac23 wrote:Hi All,

Alimac, there is a supplier who grows and smokes jalapeno and sells bags of chipotle, Mandurah or Kwinana vicinity south of Perth somewhere.
I bought a large bag from her but they had gone too far and were carbonized.
When I communicated that to her she basically said it was my fault for ordering online without seeing what I was getting?
Just a warning.

I think USA foods also carry them but are often out of stock.
Thanks for the warning Buccaneer, that sounds like bad customer service to me!
I swear i saw some chipotle a while back in a store but i can't remember where i saw it, i'll keep an eye out for it and report back if i find it.
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

On the corner of High Road and Leech Hiway, Willetton there are a couple of Asian food stores, they've had both before now but having moved from Leeming can't say if they still do.

Can get some real interesting things in both though. Also in the Southlands shopping centre, far end from the cinema there is a little Vietnamese outlet, or could be Korean, bit of a mix I think, very interesting for anyone wanting Asian style bits and pieces.

Cheers
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Kakulis sister in Freo or Kakulis bros in Northbridge.

Smoke dried, Dried and Canned.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Nath

Chioptle and Ancho

Post by Nath »

I have bought chipotles before from a few fruit and veg shops NOR. I'll check the label when I get home.

Nath
Nath
peteru

Post by peteru »

Harris Farm have canned chipotles in adobo sauce. I've got a can, but haven't tried it yet, so can't report on the quality.

Post by Card Shark »

Chile Mojo in SA do mail order. Just planted some of their seeds of the same. http://chilemojo.com.au/chiles-dried.html
NotoriousPIG

Post by NotoriousPIG »

Here you go Alimac this is where I get all mine from never had a problem with them.

http://chilliandspice.com.au/index.php? ... ent=8&pg=1
donburke wrote:to answer your question "what can be better"
beer & bbq is pretty darn good, but still comes in 2nd to hookers and toot
talisker63

Post by talisker63 »

Confirm that USA foods have both dried and also canned. I bought stock from there last month and they had plenty. You can order online.

Also The Essential Ingredient has them too.
ghent

Post by ghent »

Can second the thought to have a look at these guys - great service and range. http://www.chilliandspice.com.au
2011 Webber kettle
Gasmate 4 burner hooded gasser
Gasmate Charcoal smoker
Terracotta chimnea
alimac23

Chioptle and Ancho

Post by alimac23 »

Thanks everyone I'll check out those web links and get an order in soon, just about to head back to the UK for a wedding till the new year but I'm looking forward to getting back to the heat and the BBQ already!
aussie

Post by aussie »

I grow my own Jalapino's

I smoke dry my extras.

After a trip to bunnies this year I can now do my own Ancho, they should just be dried only. A lot of bought ones are preserved in Adobo sauce, lot of recipies used preserved.

Not all bunnies stores are created equal I tried to increase my Ancho planting but had to settle for Ball and Cherry Chillies instead.