Grilled Prawns - Asian Style

FISH, OCTOPUS, PRAWNS, SCOLLOPS, CRAB, LOBSTER & CRAYFISH
Captain Cook

Grilled Prawns - Asian Style

Post by Captain Cook »

My friends devour this dish in less time than it takes to cook it. So I guess that it is a favourite of theirs
It can be cooked on any BBQ with a hood, however I developed this initially for the Weber Q. I have a couple of the Weber slotted fish grill pans so I can do quite a lot at once on my Genesis instead of the Q.

Grilled Prawns

1 Kg green king prawns - Peeled with tails left on.
3 cloves garlic
1 handful of fresh coriander
3 chillies
small piece of ginger chopped
juice of 2 limes or 1 lemon
1/4 cup of oil
Baking Paper

Grind the garlic, coriander, chillies ginger and lime juice to a paste in a mortar and pestal (or blend with a hand held stick blender), add the oil and mix well. Put the prawns in a ziplock bag and add the marinate mixture and allow it to marinate for 2 hours.
This recipe requires the use of a solid grill plate, the Q premium grill plate is by far the best but any grill plate that will fit inside the Q will work.
Preheat the grill plate in the Q for 10 minutes, lay a piece of baking paper the same size as the grill plate on it and then lay out the prawns leaving a gap between each one. (this will fit about half the quantity). Cook the prawns for 2 ½ minutes on 1 side then turn and cook for a further 2 ½ minutes. Remove and place on a warm serving plate and cover with foil. Replace the baking paper and cook the remaining prawns.
Instead of using a solid grill plate try using the Weber slotted fish grill tray you do not need to preheat it. Use the same timing as above.
Serve hot. Note - cook with the lid closed.
Do not overcook them, the prawns should be opaque only, you may only need 2 minutes per side for a perfect result.

Recipe prepared by “The Gourmet Cabernet” alias “Captain Cook”
Buccaneer

Re: Grilled Prawns - Asian Style

Post by Buccaneer »

Hmmmm, Cap'n this looks inspired by a classic Thai recipe I do.
Big difference is it is made with fresh live prawns and eaten uncooked as a salad. :shock:
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Buccaneer wrote:Hmmmm, Cap'n this looks inspired by a classic Thai recipe I do.
Big difference is it is made with fresh live prawns and eaten uncooked as a salad. :shock:
Ok, you've generated the interest, now 'fess with the recipe, the juices are running.

Main problem is getting fresh live prawns in Melbourne.

Cheers

Phil aka Captain Cook
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Recipe move to Recipes Section

A word of warning, this dish is intensely tasty and if someone really loves it they will eat a lot, naturally.
Lime juice has an extreme effect on the digestory tract, especially when eaten with beer, which is this dishes natural partner. :shock:
So, some guests may find they are getting some extra exercise rushing to the toot and think they have food poisoning from the fresh prawns, funny but they need warning.
Take it easy with this dish or you will pay the price!
Bon appetite, Cap'n!
ps I do a dinner party version but it is just jazzed up with presentation and crackers and so on.
This brings back awesome memories of beachside Thailand, and chubby German tourists who will NOT listen when warned, racing up the beach while desperately clenching their buttocks and making gutteral calls to The Valkyrie, kinda like Special Olympics 'Yodelling- Bass Voice Class" - no slight intended
Last edited by Buccaneer on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Mate
This is a winner. I love the sound of this and can just about taste all the flavours now.
I lived in Malaysia for 5 years in the 70s/80s and since then have spent a few years working and travelling backwards and forwards to most parts of Asia for 33 weeks of the year. I stopped a few years ago, but I have tasted so many different dishes and especially loved the sashumi in Korea and Japan. I have never had this dish before and can't wait to try it.
I would also like to try this with fresh live lobster - can you imagine how good that would be.

I agree with you about cooking prawns on the BBQ with the shells on, problem is most people are lazy or turn their nozes up at them - I say Philistines the lot of them.

A great quick one for the side burner using a wok or a deep thin frypan
Add a splash or two of oil (peanut is great) and about 1 - 2 table spoons of good quality Thai sweet chilli sauce to a hot Wok and cook for a minute, add a handful or so of medium sized fresh prawns in the shell and a tablespoon or two of chopped corriander, cook and toss to ensure well coated for abot 1 1/2 minutes until prawns are going opaque and shells have turned red on the edges - WARNING - DO NOT OVERCOOK. Serve and eat while hot.

Cheers

Capt
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Lived a major portion of my life OS, and mostly in Asia.
Travelled all over Malaysia and found Georgetown to be a mecca for food. (intentional joke)
I returned whenever I could, and now proudly do their Kway Teow and Ho Fun at home better than they do ! :P

So, I am a bit of a purist when it comes to Asian cuisine and can't handle the sweetened goop served up at restaurants here in Aussie so what to do...have to cook it at home !lol

This Thai dish is a winner alright, you are lucky to pry it out of me, looks great served out when friends are over.
Thai food is one of my favourites, love Indian and Japanese, Korean BBQ is brilliant too, love so many of their sauces and am crazy about Kim Chi.
Love cooking Spanish, French and Italian too.
Tragic foodie I am afraid.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

If you know about Georgetown then you know that Penang Char Kway Teow differs from all others. They use small clams/pipis in theirs which gives it a unique flavour. The good thing about melbourne is that there are Authentic asian restaurants here that use authentic ingredients as opposed to the washed out bland tastless garbage or the sweet rot your teeth garbage that most places throw at you.

Kim Chi has to be one of my favourites too. In the olden days in Korea a man would choose his wife based on how good the girls mother's Kim Chee was. It was in Korea that I had fresh baby octopus sashumi style. You could feel the suckers on the legs grip onto your throat/gullet on the way down. Wash down with some Soju mate how good is that.

I tend to do a lot of asian inspired dishes on the BBQ mostly a blend of cultures and tastes. I love the clean crisp tastes of Thai and the barbecued meats of North Eastern China. I had the best BBQ'd whole lamb in my life just outside of Bejing and the best Peking duck in a restauant not far from my hotel in Bejing which turned out to be a world renowed place to eat it. The resaurant wasn't fancily decorated and was what you would expect a traditional restaurant in China to look like decorated with fans, red lanterns and red frilly cords and with ducks, geese , char siu pork and crispy pork hanging dripping in the window. I wish I could remember that name of it.

Cheers

Capt
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Stop it, dude, you are killing me.
I wanna pack up right now, damn, memories.
I MISS shoju, and I miss big German style glass mugs of it over huge pieces of ice with fresh lemon juice and barley that they used to serve in Japan on sultry hot summer days, along with bowls of buckwheat noodles and cold dipping sauces with ginger and wasabi, and sashimi too.
Dammit!

I used to catch a train overnight for about 12 hours just to eat in this chinese family run BBQ business.
The shop floor and walls were blackened by charcoal smoke, shiny stainless steel benches and this soft glutenous pork with green pickled jungle greens and a bowl of steaming rice with little dishes of chili in soy. I used to absolutely pig out, thinking that i would not be back.8 weeks later I couldn't help it and would catch the train all over again.
sigh
Could the peking Duck place be
Quan Ju De or Da Dong?
Quian Men doesn't have red decor or fans
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Don't know but from memory the place was about 400 - 600 meters from the Forbidden City on the RH side in a side street off the street. running parallel with the main street that went to the main entrance to the forbidden city past Tian'anmen square. I looked on google maps and it was probably on the extension of Wangfujing street or in that vicinity.

Cheers

Capt
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Captain Cook wrote:Don't know but from memory the place was about 400 - 600 meters from the Forbidden City on the RH side in a side street off the street. running parallel with the main street that went to the main entrance to the forbidden city past Tian'anmen square. I looked on google maps and it was probably on the extension of Wangfujing street or in that vicinity.

Cheers

Capt
Quan Ju de definitely, thought so with all the red fans lanterns and so on.
Now you have the name of it dude!
<bows>