Soy Honey Chilli Smoked Catfish

FISH, OCTOPUS, PRAWNS, SCOLLOPS, CRAB, LOBSTER & CRAYFISH
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

My mate Milton brought back a few kg's of Fresh Catfish fillet from a Pigging & Fishing week at Wowan all caught on the last two day and keep ice cold in the Engel Fridge/freezer and he said mate smoke these, I tried to get them lite but it wouldn't work so this what I did to them now this worked a treat. MM :P :P

© Mick Blake 2012 Baree

2kg Fresh Catfish fillets (skined)
¼ cup Light Soy Sauce
¼ cup Lemon juice
1 Tablespoon Garlic Salt
¼ teaspoon Salt
½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Chilli Flakes
1 Tablespoon Honey

Very simple mix all together and add Catfish fillets Mainate for 20 to 30 mintues in fridge then smoke for 20 mintues at 125Cº let cool and eat. Very nice next day on toast or break it up in some noodle or paste. Hope you enjoy it .Mountain Mick

Fresh Catfish fillets (skined) plus other stuff

Myself pouring mixed marinate in to bag I had allready mixed the Catfish fillets in it now the lot goes in the bag

Marinating Catfish Fillets plus all the stuff I put in it. now in the fridge for 20 to 30 mintues

After 20 mintues in my MasterBuilt electric smoker , I use 1 handfull fresh Iornbark sawdust (made it myself with my trusty planner)

Sorry guys , no I'm not we eat it , in a word yummy.
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com
shiska

Re: Soy Honey Chilli Smoked Catfish

Post by shiska »

The catfish look a treat MM, I have never tried catfish,is it a strong fishy taste that you need a rub and smoke. Also were they freshwater or saltwater catfish? I remember as a kid throwing these along with eels back into the water,now both are now delicatcies.

Cheers
shiska
trentski

Post by trentski »

I've heard catfish is very good eating, tell me more MM :D
dales133

Post by dales133 »

Oily old bottom feeder but if cooked right its awsum, any oily fish makes the best smokers, grey mullets probay the cheapest fish in New Zealand and fantastic smoked, another underlooked culperate is the dreaded slimy mackerel .
I know everyone is shuddering at the thought but peppered mackerel is a prized fish around the world.
So trust me, next time you catch one of those slimey lil bastards fake it home and brine it, then rub it with a mix or black pepper and brown sugaR and you'll never talk badly of said fish again
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Yes Fresh water (Australian ForkTailed Catfish) smoke up very nicely. MM :P :wink: :lol:

Soy Honey Chilli Smoked Catfish with Bacon, Chilli Beans & Tomato on toast MM
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com