Smoked Barramundi

FISH, OCTOPUS, PRAWNS, SCOLLOPS, CRAB, LOBSTER & CRAYFISH
Davros

Smoked Barramundi

Post by Davros »

Hi, first post here.
Bought some imported Barra the other day from a restaurant wholesaler, it was a good buy so loaded up with 10kg of it
Unfortunately it tastes overly fishy and we have been using it for Thai Fishcakes.

Today I flashed up the yum cha kmart weber with about 15 coconut heatbeads that I got (20kg for $5) and when they were nice and white dropped in a banksia pod which I soaked for half an hour off of my tree out front.
Small tray with some water beside beads
4 fillets of barra had treatment in salt sugar solution for about 30 minutes and dried for a while on a rack, (I looked for instructions and sort of followed them)
Placed fillets off on opposite side to beads

30 minutes or so later lovely smokey goodness, moist smokey fish that I will actually eat.
It was a bit strong in the smoke department, next time I will use 1/2 a banksia pod.

Just thought I'd say something as I was pretty chuffed for a first attempt
Livewire

Re: Smoked Barramundi

Post by Livewire »

Davros

Welcome to the forum and a good first post

Do you have an pics of the result, we like pics or as the old saying goes "No Pics it Did Not Happen" :)

I regularly smoke whole trout in the Kamado and these I brine for upto 6 hours

http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... lit=+trout

Most smoked salmon fillet recipes call for a couple of hours in the brine so your maybe a little light on, no real time to penentrate the flesh

So what is next on your must BBQ/smoke list :)

Glenn
Kamado slow it goes as those lovely red embers glow
Royal Kamado, Weber Kettle K: 1988, Weber OTG DD:2000, Coolabah Mini Spit and 4 B Gasser
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Welcome to the forum, great first post...
Pictures would be good.. Luv my BBQ-ing my fish with smoking chips!
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Davros

Post by Davros »

Thanks for the welcome all
Pic included of the last 2 fillets before I scarfed them down just now with a cold cider for lunch
Livewire wrote:
Most smoked salmon fillet recipes call for a couple of hours in the brine so your maybe a little light on, no real time to penentrate the flesh
I am not 100% sure what the brining process is supposed to achieve but I reckon any longer and it would have been inedible as it was sufficiently salty
and I definitely overdid the smoking me thinks, whilst it is an impressive amount of flavour for such a short period of time I get the distinct feeling in the background that my mouth is an ashtray
So what is next on your must BBQ/smoke list :)
I tried some turkey wings, but they were a bit tough, but only cost 99c a kg so no big loss.
The fish will be on the cards again, just with a lot less of the banksia cone than what I used last time.

Would the fact that it actually caught fire and burnt be the cause of the mouth like an ashtray effect I feel?
Would it still have smoked if placed a few inches away from the coals?

Add: couldn't get pic to upload on this forum so try again with imageshack
Livewire

Post by Livewire »

Davros wrote:Would the fact that it actually caught fire and burnt be the cause of the mouth like an ashtray effect I feel?
Would it still have smoked if placed a few inches away from the coals?
Davros

Not good if it caught alight, you only want it to smoulder so that it gives off a thin blue smoke and not clouds of white. Did you have the have the coals burning to hot ?

May I suggest you cut the banksia cone into say 4 pieces and only use one piece

It good fun experimenting :)

Glenn
Kamado slow it goes as those lovely red embers glow
Royal Kamado, Weber Kettle K: 1988, Weber OTG DD:2000, Coolabah Mini Spit and 4 B Gasser