Golden Syurp smoked Salmon

FISH, OCTOPUS, PRAWNS, SCOLLOPS, CRAB, LOBSTER & CRAYFISH
Smokey

Re: Golden Syurp smoked Salmon

Post by Smokey »

StoneX wrote:Sorry to bump an old thread, but I need to know if the Kwikurit is necessary?

The ButcherAtHome website doesn't allow Victoria to be chosen for postage and all of the other recipes I've read for smoked salmon just have salt, sugar and flavours.

[edit]
Found out I had to use the Butcher Quip website instead, but my question still stands... If brined in the fridge and then smoked to 90C, isn't that as safe as the pork/lamb/beef that I do the same process with?
Yep, you'll be right.
The Cure does give a colour and flavour that some folks like though.
So it's not all about being safe.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

Thanks Smokey Mick.

I've ordered some cure just in case but it's good to know it's not necessary :)
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Totally unecessary, follow normal safety proceedures for food and you are good to go.
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

StoneX wrote:Thanks Smokey Mick.

I've ordered some cure just in case but it's good to know it's not necessary :)
All good,
I make a whiskey cold smoked salmon in the traditional way at temps of under 16c for six hours and no nitrites or nitrates are used. Salt and sugar is a pretty damn good cure if what your doing is kept cold or cooked hot.
I've have 12 month old cryovact Traditional salami in the fridge that is only 3% salt , No Nitrites or nitrates and no fermenting. it's perfectly good.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au