Thai BBQ with Tom Yum Goong!!!!!!!!!

FISH, OCTOPUS, PRAWNS, SCOLLOPS, CRAB, LOBSTER & CRAYFISH
shayneh2006

Thai BBQ with Tom Yum Goong!!!!!!!!!

Post by shayneh2006 »

Now that the weather is warming up, its time to get serious with the food i really love,,, Thai !!! 8)

We are having some guests over tonight so i have been a little busy preparing things and here is where i am at so far.

In Thailand, these grills/BBQ's are strictly heated by means of Charcoal and to date, i have only ever used Beads but tonight i am planning on using some of my 240kgs of lump i have just aquired :lol: :lol: .

I will post some more pics a little later when its all cooking

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Amfibius

Re: Thai BBQ with Tom Yum Goong!!!!!!!!!

Post by Amfibius »

I have never had a Thai BBQ before ... looks similar to Korean BBQ? Are you serving a hotpot to go with the BBQ?

Good luck with it, and don't set fire to the table! ;)
Image Image Image
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Amfibius wrote:looks similar to Korean BBQ?
Well, you are pretty right there. I think the Thai's adopted it from the Korean's. We have these every time we visit Bangkok so one just had to be brought back with us :lol: :lol: .

The idea behind it is,,,, fill the circumfernce with a broth along with what else you like then BBQ you Seafood/meats on the dome. All the lovely juices then run down into the broth which in turn enhances the flavour of it.

Its a really fun way of cooking.

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Cube

Post by Cube »

Looking forward to the future posts. In fact, buggar the guests - more pictures!
Amfibius

Post by Amfibius »

shayneh2006 wrote:The idea behind it is,,,, fill the circumfernce with a broth along with what else you like then BBQ you Seafood/meats on the dome. All the lovely juices then run down into the broth which in turn enhances the flavour of it.
Aha! So that's how it works! Would love to try it, but not aware of any Thai restaurants here that do that.
Image Image Image
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Alright, the meal was served and it came up trumps however, our guested bailed at the last minute :evil: :evil: :evil: soooo,,, we had to enjoy this ourselves :wink: :wink:

Here i am making the broth for the Tom Yum

And some of the stuff that went into it

Table set with all the gear

The fire was set

Oiling it up with some Pork fat

And the BBQ begins

And how good is that 8) 8)

Desert was a Thai Mango Sticky Rice which was to die for

And what would a Thai dinner be without Thai Iced Coffee. Less the straw of course :oops: :oops: :oops:

Shayne

shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Oh,,, i forgot to show a pic of the Tom Yum plated

Shayne

DrSweetsmoke

Post by DrSweetsmoke »

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am now adding this little cooker to my Christmas wish list. Where can i find one?

Doc
Amfibius

Post by Amfibius »

Man, what a feast!!! Which I was on the last minute guest list!!

That is a lot of charcoal you used ... it didn't get too hot?
Image Image Image
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

I want one to :P
All I can say is The guest's missed out big time. and that shits me to,, For me, Three strikes and they are out of my life.
And yes, that fire was BIG :shock:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

DrSweetsmoke wrote:Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am now adding this little cooker to my Christmas wish list. Where can i find one?
In Thailand of course :lol: :lol: :lol: but it didnt take me long to find one online http://www.mamanoodles.com/cooking-equi ... 30-cm.html
That one however does not look as good (quality wise) as mine. Not sure if i like the top of it as its Aluminium where mine is steel. Better for the heat i think :D

Amfibius wrote:That is a lot of charcoal you used ... it didn't get too hot?
A bit of that came out (10%) and was transfered over to the Tom Yum Hot Pots.

When i first started using this years ago, the first few cooks were distasterised because i didnt have enough heat :oops: . You want to sear the meat, not stew it. A handfull of beads just dosent cut it :twisted: and that was what i used. I then started filling it up to the breather holes then Pyrimiding the beads to the underneath side of the dome for better results.

The main reason you need high heat is the Broth around the outside which acts as a massive heat sink. As you cook, you are constantly taking the meats from the BBQ to your bowl and then some noodles and soup. The soup then needs to be replentished with some fresh stuff which of course is not boiling to begin with which then acts further as a heat sink :wink: :wink:

The Charcoal used for last nights cook worked out prefect :wink: :wink:

Smokey Mick wrote:Three strikes and they are out of my life.
Yeh, i might have to start using that policy as well. No,, it pisses me off as there was some effort indeed spent setting this up :x :x :x

Smokey Mick wrote:And yes, that fire was BIG
Yes it was but let the photos of the cook convince you otherwise. I cant see any burnt meat/Prawns 8) 8) 8)

Shayne

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Shayne,

i request........no. i demand you stop this right now.......

man you are the epitemy of that beatles song........"getting better all the time"..... that looks to die for. and every time i read, and my eyes experiance one of your wonderful BBQ adventures my confidence in ever winning a comp dies just a little.

that looks great, might book a fight with Qantas and fly over and get one......nah i might just go to town and experiance it at the thai resturaunt.

well done.

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
themissus

Post by themissus »

Commander Cody wrote:Shayne,

i request........no. i demand you stop this right now.......

man you are the epitemy of that beatles song........"getting better all the time"..... that looks to die for. and every time i read, and my eyes experiance one of your wonderful BBQ adventures my confidence in ever winning a comp dies just a little.

that looks great, might book a fight with Qantas and fly over and get one......nah i might just go to town and experiance it at the thai resturaunt.

well done.

kevin
I recommend Thai airways! awesome service.
anyway dinner was delicious , but i don't recommend the ice coffee that late in the evening if you want any sleep :lol:
Themissus
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

This one deserves a bump! Shayne, another blue ribbon effort, and a nice aerial shot of the table setting to boot 8)
Bodgy

ImageImageImage
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Yep. tidy work Shayne! 10 points!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!