Smoked green lipped mussels

FISH, OCTOPUS, PRAWNS, SCOLLOPS, CRAB, LOBSTER & CRAYFISH
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Ideas on smoking N.Z green lipped mussels. smoke in shell or steam a little first to open them and then flavor with a marinated , like chilli, lime, garlic & white wine???? MM :D :lol: :wink:

I have this recipe

"If you want an easy but delicious way of smoking mussels just steam em open and put all the flesh in a bowl, add equal parts olive oil and sweet chilli sauce let them marinate overnight if you can wait that long. Lay them out on a biscuit tray ( make sure theyre not the wifes favourite ones, I did and now they are resigned to the garage, by my bed.

I use a stand up smoker and give them about an hour flipping them halfway, but im sure you could use one of those little meths ones. trick is not to get them too hot or it can dry them out that is where the oil comes in too, to keep them moist.

you can swap the chilli for any flavour you like eg garlic, bbq but sweet chilli is my favourite"
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com
Buccaneer

Re: Smoked green lipped mussels

Post by Buccaneer »

Crush garlic and parsley stalks, add paprika and dry white wine , marinate mussels and cook open on the grill, eating as they come off.
Bucc
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi Bucc,

Thanks mate I will give it a go.MM :D
Buccaneer wrote:Crush garlic and parsley stalks, add paprika and dry white wine , marinate mussels and cook open on the grill, eating as they come off.
Bucc
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com
remax

Post by remax »

sounds pretty tempting, gotta love muscles.
on my NY resolution
billid

Post by billid »

I have smoked (aussie) mussels in the shell in a weber kettle, lid on, apple wood pellets.
Taken them out when open, so only a very limited smoke.

Thought they tasted great.

And thanks for the reminder, must do it again!
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

billid wrote:I have smoked (aussie) mussels in the shell in a weber kettle, lid on, apple wood pellets.

Would the same method work for oysters?
Haven't been able to eat Mussels since Expo in 88 when I got a dud one that gave me a hell of a work out.
Teach me for bagging the Kiwis about Rugby in their pavilion. The karma train did the haka on me well and truly.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
billid

Post by billid »

Angryman65 wrote: Would the same method work for oysters?
don't know, haven't tried them this way.

let us know how they go!!!
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

I open them manually, then mix garlic and sour cream together, (heavy on the garlic) sit the mussels on a tray with a bed of pool salt to keep them steady and spoon sour cream and galic onto them. Ithen finish with some flakes of parmesan.

Make sure the kettle is up to heat and smoking, cook for 5 - 7 minutes. You can do these on a gasser or Q on high heat for about 4 - 6 minutes indirectly

An alternative reciple is mix equal parts of fish sauce and water with a little bit of sugar added and completely disolved. place the mussels on a tray of pool sale to keep them steady and either smoke them in the kettle with high heat or is a gasser or Q until the just start to open about 3 - 4 minutes. Use a siringe to squirt a little of the fish sauce and water mixture into each mussel and cook/smoke for a further couple of minutes.

That should give you the basis of a few methods that you can build on.

Cheers

Captain
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Angryman65 wrote:
billid wrote:I have smoked (aussie) mussels in the shell in a weber kettle, lid on, apple wood pellets.

Haven't been able to eat Mussels since Expo in 88 when I got a dud one that gave me a hell of a work out.
Teach me for bagging the Kiwis about Rugby in their pavilion. The karma train did the haka on me well and truly.
Yes mate, A bit of smoke when making oyster killpatrick or the like is the bomb.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Smokey Mick wrote:
Angryman65 wrote:

Yes mate, A bit of smoke when making oyster killpatrick or the like is the bomb.
Thanks SM,
Will grab a bag ASAP and give it a crack. Don't mind a smoked oyster or natural or kilpatrick or with lime and black pepper or in a shot glass with vodka tomato juice and Tabasco or etc
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

On the half shell set in some pool salt on a pizza tray. A teaspoon of water with a little fish sauce on each one, then into the smoky kettle!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Nath

Post by Nath »

Mmmm

Nath
Nath