Rainbow Trout

FISH, OCTOPUS, PRAWNS, SCOLLOPS, CRAB, LOBSTER & CRAYFISH
steinyboys

Re: Rainbow Trout

Post by steinyboys »

Hi just a Question on the trout, every time I have tried Rainbow trout they have had an earthy taste, does the brining remove that ? If so I might give some a go and give the salmon a miss for a while
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20
ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

steinyboys wrote:Hi just a Question on the trout, every time I have tried Rainbow trout they have had an earthy taste, does the brining remove that ? If so I might give some a go and give the salmon a miss for a while
It's probably because the trout you have had has come out of a dam with a muddy bottom and murky water. Wild caught trout out of a river is sweet, no earth or mud. If previous years of my trout in aquaponics are anything to go by, the one's pictured in this thread will also be sweet, an aquaponics system won't have any of the mud in the tank to give that earthy taste.

Wazza
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner
Nath

Rainbow Trout

Post by Nath »

ozwaz wrote:
steinyboys wrote:Hi just a Question on the trout, every time I have tried Rainbow trout they have had an earthy taste, does the brining remove that ? If so I might give some a go and give the salmon a miss for a while
It's probably because the trout you have had has come out of a dam with a muddy bottom and murky water. Wild caught trout out of a river is sweet, no earth or mud. If previous years of my trout in aquaponics are anything to go by, the one's pictured in this thread will also be sweet, an aquaponics system won't have any of the mud in the tank to give that earthy taste.

Wazza
Spot on. Usually farmed and dam trout can have a bit of an earthy taste. I don't mind it, though a nice skinny water stream trout are awesome! Just hard to find for most fisherman.

Nath
Nath
ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

Nath wrote: Spot on. Usually farmed and dam trout can have a bit of an earthy taste. I don't mind it, though a nice skinny water stream trout are awesome! Just hard to find for most fisherman.

Nath
They are there, and not that far from Perth either.
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner
smoking jim

Post by smoking jim »

Hi Guys as the weather warms up I think i will soon have to harvest my rainbows from the aquaponic system, when water temp gets to 27c the will die, I will use a Bradley demerara type cure and maple syrup with a few other bits and stuff chucked in for the rub and into the fridge over nite hot smoked in the Bradley with hickory , very good.
Bradley BTDS108CE-6.Bradley Propane Smoker.Kamado Royal.Webber 1982 Kettle.Anuka.Home Build Pellet Pooper,Bob Grillson 2014 Premium with WiFi App.
LyndaSexton

Post by LyndaSexton »

Interesting recipe.