Easy Cold Smoked Salmon

FISH, OCTOPUS, PRAWNS, SCOLLOPS, CRAB, LOBSTER & CRAYFISH
urbangriller

Re:

Post by urbangriller »

skuzy wrote:BTW do u cook to time or to temp with this one?
You are not cooking.

The Salmon is cured then smoked....keep the temperature as low as you can....less than 25C is good.

I had some on the weekend that had two hours on smoke then back in the fridge for two hours and a further 2 hours smoke......did all that Thursday for entree on Sunday

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
skuzy

Re: Easy Cold Smoked Salmon

Post by skuzy »

roger that..!

thanks again.... just cured a piece for 2 days.. now to dry in the fridge before smoking tomorrow hopefully..
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

skuzy wrote:roger that..!

thanks again.... just cured a piece for 2 days.. now to dry in the fridge before smoking tomorrow hopefully..
Then you have to resist eating it till Sunday...so it matures a bit in the fridge!
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Brewerbbqer

Post by Brewerbbqer »

I'm trying this at the moment. I've left it overnight in the salt/sugar mix, and have just washed it off, dried it and covered in some bundy rum. It's now in the fridge on a rack. I'll smoke it tomorrow with some cheese ( may as well while I'm smoking anyway! ).

It's only a fillet but if it works I'll get my hands on a huge chunk of it and do a big bit.
wedwards

Easy Cold Smoked Salmon

Post by wedwards »

Also works really really well with whole trout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

I am no expert skuzy but the fish is already brined and you are COLD SMOKING Chris has said 2 hours I have red up to 6 or more hours smoking Must depend on how much smoke is imparted into the salmon but 2 hours for the cheese works great I am doing some this weekend should be yumm , I have all so red that after the brining and washing of the fish you should taste it for saltness and rince more if to salty :idea: :idea:
Mick
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20
steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

Hi all I have a question about Salmon (arafus truta ) not the red meat fish we all buy in the fish shops, but the one caught of our southern beaches, has not got a good reputation as a table fish, I have found them good to eat just caught and bled out properly, has any one smoked these cold or hot? could you share you experience please, In fact what other fish other than salmon have you smoked and how did you go about it? probably should have started another thread :roll: :roll:
Mick
steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

Bump Hope to get some feed back
Muppet

Easy Cold Smoked Salmon

Post by Muppet »

I catch these although I really don't like them, not much use to you but if you can handle the taste, sure there's no reason why you couldn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Brewerbbqer

Post by Brewerbbqer »

Brewerbbqer wrote:I'm trying this at the moment. I've left it overnight in the salt/sugar mix, and have just washed it off, dried it and covered in some bundy rum. It's now in the fridge on a rack. I'll smoke it tomorrow with some cheese ( may as well while I'm smoking anyway! ).

It's only a fillet but if it works I'll get my hands on a huge chunk of it and do a big bit.

Definitely do this again, next time a whole side of salmon. Mine didn't look as dark as the first pics, but it was awesome.
LyndaSexton

Post by LyndaSexton »

Thanks for sharing.