Tasmanian Scallops in Champagne

FISH, OCTOPUS, PRAWNS, SCOLLOPS, CRAB, LOBSTER & CRAYFISH
Captain Cook

Tasmanian Scallops in Champagne

Post by Captain Cook »

If you want to do scallops, This is one of the best -

Tasmanian Scallops with Champagne
A special thanks to my mate Steve from Tasmania for the basis of this recipe. I have tweaked it a bit.
This dish is cooked on the side burner of your Gas BBQ Grill or using a wok or deep frypan on your Weber with direct heat. Once you have eaten scallops this way you will be spoilt for life. Trust me!

1 kg fresh Tasmanian scallops
1 shallot (chopped fine )
1 bottle of brut Champagne or good quality, dry, sparkling Chardonnay.
1 chicken stock cube
300 ml fresh cream

Optional serving method
6 crusty dinner rolls or 1 cobb loaf

Method
Let the scallops stand in the fridge for a few hours. Drain off all moisture before cooking.
Pour about 1/2 a bottle of the champagne in a deep frypan or wok and bring to the boil. Add the scallops and bring back to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes, turn the scallops continually. The scallops should just be turning white in the middle.
Remove and drain the scallops and set aside. Bring the champagne back to the boil and slowly add the; stock cube, cream and shallot, simmer for about 10 minutes until the mixture has reduced to half. Add the scallops again and heat through (about 1-minute). Season to taste.
Serve immediately on a bed of rice. Serve the unused champagne as the accompanying drink.
For a different taste use 1/2 clove of garlic instead of the shallot. Do not use more than 1/2 a clove of garlic as the secret of this dish is in the taste of the champagne and scallop with the infusion of the cream.

Optional serving method
Cut the top off the dinner rolls and reserve, remove the inside of the dinner rolls and reserve.
heat the rolls, lids and removed inside bread in a Q using the indirect method until they are crusty and firm. Place the rolls in ramikins and spoon the scallop mixture into the rolls. Place the lids on the rolls and serve with the toasted inside bread arranged around the ramikin. Or cut the top off the Cobb loaf and treat like the rolls.

This is a very rich dish, I generally serve it as one of the highlight dishes near the end of the evening.

Cheers

Captain
Last edited by Captain Cook on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beachbums

Re: Tasmanian Scallops in Champagne

Post by beachbums »

Thanks Cap'n

We're heading over to Tassie in January so will get to try this with nice fresh scollies while we're there

Cheers, Wayne and Jan
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

No pics...what a tease!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

Hey Cap'n - mrs 2browndogs doesn't like/eat cream - could something (yoghurt ?) be substitued for the cream ?
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

2browndogs wrote:Hey Cap'n - mrs 2browndogs doesn't like/eat cream - could something (yoghurt ?) be substitued for the cream ?
Never tried anything else, the hero of this dish is really the sauce, the scallops come second or third depending on the option. I generally do this recipe for gatherings and do it in a cobb loaf, to me the sides of the cobb loaf soaked with the sauce can't be beaten
You could try it with greek yogurt instead of the cream, I don't know if it will split or not. Add a little extra salt but taste first.

Captain
Last edited by Captain Cook on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

Thanks for that - think i'll make up a test batch of the sauce - if it works I'll ice some scallops :P
Strider

Post by Strider »

beachbums wrote:Thanks Cap'n

We're heading over to Tassie in January so will get to try this with nice fresh scollies while we're there

Cheers, Wayne and Jan
Maybe if you get here on the first couple of days of January - scallop season closes on December 31!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

2browndogs wrote:Hey Cap'n - mrs 2browndogs doesn't like/eat cream - could something (yoghurt ?) be substitued for the cream ?
I use carnation milk when I need a cream substitute.
Its not the same of course but its also not terrible. and gives a dish the same look and and feel without the heavyness.
I put some in a classic 50's prawn curry the other night (That calls for cream) and it works a treat.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

Cheers SM - I'll give that a go.
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Strider wrote:

Cheers, Wayne and Jan
Maybe if you get here on the first couple of days of January - scallop season closes on December 31!

WAAAAAAHHH!!!!!

We won't be there until mid January :cry:

A poor substitute but I really liked the curried scallop pies. Might have been Smiths? Used to buy them from a little shop near the Customs House hotel

Cheers, Wayne
Strider

Post by Strider »

beachbums wrote:
Strider wrote:

Cheers, Wayne and Jan

WAAAAAAHHH!!!!!

We won't be there until mid January :cry:

A poor substitute but I really liked the curried scallop pies. Might have been Smiths? Used to buy them from a little shop near the Customs House hotel

Cheers, Wayne
That would be Harbour Lights Cafe, but here's a tip - Mures supply the pies :wink:
FirePlay

Post by FirePlay »

Yep - we lived in Hobart for a couple of years and I sure remember those scallop pies!