Mystery Recipe

FISH, OCTOPUS, PRAWNS, SCOLLOPS, CRAB, LOBSTER & CRAYFISH
Smokey

Re: Mystery Recipe SMOKED SALMON

Post by Smokey »

Card Shark wrote:Nice colour! Looks like the wild Canadian stuff you can occasionally buy in the US. That beer looks lonely... :idea:
Came from Reedy Creek road and yes that beer does look lonely,, But now im on the Scotch even though I dont drink scotch.

The Scots make the best smoked salmon so I followed there advice.
After just over an hour in the water I took them out and made a taste test, Just salty enough. I want this to be a little salty as I will slice it fine and pack it into small 200gm packs.
Anyhow, I rubbed them with a wee dram of whiskey and then straight into the fridge uncovered to form a pelicule overnight.

Cooks Note;
This is easy to do if you have a form of cold smoking, Smoked salmon in the supermarket ranges from $50 -$75 kg.
This salmon side cost me $29 kg. so not bad value when its cold enough to do it and I know exactly what is in it.
Last edited by Smokey on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
kendoll

Re: Mystery Recipe

Post by kendoll »

The cup of chillies has me intrigued.

Ken
Ken
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

kendoll wrote:The cup of chillies has me intrigued.

Ken
I live in the Northern rivers Caldara and the lovely works for council, We get given and we give away all sorts of produce.
Those bishops were just plonked there as she got home.
Odd chili, The flesh is as mild as capsicum but the seeds are hot as hell.
ATM im giving out heaps of manderins and as is custom here, People give stuff back :wink:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

kendoll wrote:The cup of chillies has me intrigued.

Ken
theres a wine glass behind that cup too.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Zorba your a trouble maker, Never get between a women home from work and her glass of wine :roll:
Moving on,
This is my set up

I Have an 18 degree arvo and dropping. I put a mix of beech wood chips and Hickory pellets.
If it was colder Id have just screwed the smokai straight to the garbage bin, Such is the life of living in the sub tropics.
I sparked it up then let it settle on low, Then on with the Lox.

Chefs note;
Some recipes out there vary to no end, Some say only smoke an hour or two and some say 24 hours.
All are right, This is artisan smoking and Im looking for it to change colour, Im looking for the golden kiss.
Whatever time it takes, Once I see a golden hugh its done.
This will not be like the supermarket stuff, It will be bold and flavourful as you would expect from an expensive but real smoked meat providor
Note; Changed wrong to right. Ment to say you can smoke to any level you like.
Last edited by Smokey on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

C,mon Smokey,,,,

I am dying here waiting to see the finished pictures :P

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Finished late last night.

Two cups of mixed pellets and chips lasted six hours and that's how long It smoked for.
Ill leave these for a week in the fridge, Then skin and slice for repacking in usable portions.

Thanks for watching :D
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

That looks better than my best effort so far!
I tip my hat Mick!
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
talisker63

Mystery Recipe

Post by talisker63 »

Looks delicious, way better that the shop bought stuff.
Love your cold smoker set up
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Good work Mick....they look awesome!

Wish I lived closer , I'd be round for a taste!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Bravo!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Fantastic work Smokey.

I am gunna have a go at this for sure. Just gotta work out how i can do it in the kettle :P

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

shayneh2006 wrote:Fantastic work Smokey.

I am gunna have a go at this for sure. Just gotta work out how i can do it in the kettle :P

Shayne
If you can sort out a way to pipe smoke from say a GA to the kettle?
You could use two lit heat beads and keep feeding them wood chips but you run the risk of topping 23c.
If that happens you gotta cook through to normal cooked temps.
I had a Pro Q smoker before this one and it worked ok with the right dust.
but I found I really needed to smoke for the full 8-10 hours it would go for as it only gives off a wisper of smoke.
I think with this type of smoking, You need the amount of smoke that comes from a handfull of woodchips in a metal box set onto coals

Just opened up mine and sliced. The missus was happy with the result but this time Ive banned her from taking it to work to give away :shock:
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Smokey Mick wrote:If you can sort out a way to pipe smoke from say a GA to the kettle?
Hey, sounds good Smokey. I have something similar on my mind. Might give it a few extra days to think more about it before i move forward. :wink:

Smokey Mick wrote: The missus was happy with the result but this time Ive banned her from taking it to work to give away
:lol: :lol:

Shayne

shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Well, now that I have got my cold smoker sorted, I am going to have a crack at this, hopefully as early as this weekend, using your curing method Smokey.

In your description however, you forgot to mention the temperature of the cold smoke. Did you have a smoker remote setup and if so, what were you running your smoke at??.

I just want mine to turn out like yours Mick :P

I will not try and beat PERFECT :wink:

Shayne