Old small fish smoker

All about smokers hot and cold
Baz

Old small fish smoker

Post by Baz »

I have been given a small old fish smoker. It has never been used and I would guess that it is probably around 60 years old-- it appears to have been handmade out of galvanised iron sheet with basic sheetmetal working tools, not unlike the sort of thing we used to do in metalwork classes at Primary School in the 1950's. It came with a small methylated spirits burner and a bag of wood shavings, plus two wire mesh shelves. It looks something like this http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/blnc/1 ... id_20.jpeg

I am wondering how to use it. Probably put a layer of wood soaked in water on the floor of the box, put the burner underneath the box, put some fish in, leave the lid closed --- but for how long???

Any thoughts please??

Barry
Jars

Re: Old small fish smoker

Post by Jars »

Maybe like this, if its similar in design.
http://youtu.be/tcLGoS5mYlU
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
dales133

Old small fish smoker

Post by dales133 »

You can put a Kero burner in it with a steel of foil dish above it on a trvit or any heat source under it with sawdust on the bottom, they go well sitting over a gasser grill plate
Baz

Post by Baz »

Jars wrote:Maybe like this, if its similar in design.
http://youtu.be/tcLGoS5mYlU
Jars

Thanks for that!!! It is virtually identical to that unit - , sliding lid, twin shelves, etc. Except that mine is OLD!! I guess the secret will be to try it out and see!!!

Barry
Snow

Post by Snow »

I have a stainless one out in the shed that I've had for years! Every time I get it out I tell myself I've got to start using it more :) I've taken it camping a few times works well, I mostly use it when I have only caught enough fish for a snack. I have tried to do snags in it but they didn't turn out too well from memory, nothing to do with the smoker of course.
Baz

Post by Baz »

I just tried out my little smoker - and am well pleased with it. I smoked a couple of el-cheapo Hoki fillets (from Woolworths) and even then they came out quite satisfactory for me. I would say nicer and more strongly flavoured than their "smoked haddock". I left them in the smoker for 20 minutes - and they were nicely cooked and not dry. I think that even my wife will eat them - she likes the smoked haddock but not kippers.

Tomorrow, I will have a go at doing a chicken breast and a couple of turkey sausages :D

Barry
twelfthmanshearing

Post by twelfthmanshearing »

It's a long time since I used one Barry, but from memory, I cooked trout fillets for about 15 - 20 minutes, chicken breasts for about 20 - 25, depending on how thick they are. If you want a smokier taste, place a piece of aluminium foil over the sawdust, otherwise the juices from whats cooking soaks them and they stop smoking. Experiment with a light brining whatever you are smoking in a light brine of 1 tablespoon salt & 1 tablespoon of sugar for about 20 minutes. Shake a bit of garlic powder, onion powder and pepper into the brine.

If you fillet your own fish, don't worry about trying to get all the meat off the bones, give the bones 10 minutes in brine and smoke them. Pick the flesh of with your fingers with a cold stubby nearby! Enjoy.
Cheers
Adrian
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

I seen the same brand at the bait & tackel shop last Xmas about $40.

I still got my beat up old kipper smoker which is the same thing different makers. I only Methylated Spirits Burner, Kero will tant the sfuff in side the smoker. plus they are built for a fast burn and that why they come will a Methylated Spirits Burner, as the twelfthman said they are quick, I do hot smoked fish on the from of the tinnie in 10 mintues. I have done thin sangs in it for breaky out camping about 15 minutes. The secert load up the sawdust (I wet mine beer or water ) and set up the fish etc put the lid on burner up and watch her smoke. and you will hear her sizzile and watch your time and you burner open up and enjoy. , here a cool video the dude is cool. MM :D :lol: :wink:

Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com
Mountain Mick

Post by Mountain Mick »

Hi Baz,

Here another video, the Tuna & Trout this guys does looks great. MM :lol: :wink: :D

Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com
Snow

Old small fish smoker

Post by Snow »

twelfthmanshearing wrote:If you want a smokier taste, place a piece of aluminium foil over the sawdust, otherwise the juices from whats cooking soaks them and they stop smoking
Thanks for the tip :) I always had a lot of unburnt saw dust in my smoker after the fish was cooked, I'll try the foil next time and might get away with using less wood.

They are using a smoker very similar to mine in those videos.
Baz

Post by Baz »

Hmm -- maybe this is not as good as I first thought. I have used it twice now - once for fish and the next time for sausages and chicken breast. BUT - the first time I used it, I thought I could taste something not quite right - the next time definitely not right!! So, in the cleanup I had a good look at it and discovered that , underneath the unit, where the small metho spirit burner goes, there was a heavy coating of black soot ( I thought metho would burn without generating soot - this was Digger brand metho) . Then I could see that the smoker box - which sits over the metho fire was not sealed properly, so burnt gasses ( plus soot) could find their way into the smoker box!! Not good!! Bear in mind that this is not a Nipper Kipper (sold in places like BCF) - but appears to me to be a very early prototype of the Nipper Kipper. I have to get to BCF to see what the sealing of the smoker box is like in a genuine Nipper Kipper.

Anyway, I am pleased with the overall concept of smoking - so I think I need to spend some money and get a decent piece of gear.
Bandicoot

Post by Bandicoot »

I have a smoker box just like the ones described in this thread. However, the metho burner that came with it is just an shallow wide dish. When lit, the metho burns quickly and violently. And it seems far too hot (the wood dust and chips just burn and impart an acrid taste). Can anyone recommend a better, more controlled metho burner?
thommo

Post by thommo »

Bandicoot wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:37 am I have a smoker box just like the ones described in this thread. However, the metho burner that came with it is just an shallow wide dish. When lit, the metho burns quickly and violently. And it seems far too hot (the wood dust and chips just burn and impart an acrid taste). Can anyone recommend a better, more controlled metho burner?
Non scented teal light candles or most Asian hardwares have a wicked metho burner
Heaps around Footscray Melb if thats any help