TRAEGERIZED legs of HAM

All about smokers hot and cold
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: TRAEGERIZED legs of HAM

Post by Davo »

Hi there Bentley,

We have 240 V 10 amp power here in Australia where i think you only got 110V so unless one has a transformer to dble it, it'll just blow up plus the plugs are a whole lot different to here so it won't fit into our powerpoints.
You said in your post on pelletheads that you sold your Traeger...what did you replace it with? another Pellet cooker?
Delivery of my Traeger is rather slow, hope to get it by next week and I can't wait to cook on it. I got the Texas 075 model like Phil's (capt C).
I'll have to give my delivery guy a call on Monday to find out what's happenning with it. I'll be doing some Pork Ribs on the WSM tomorrow.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

I was afraid the digital might not conform, although you have to realize this is a unit that replaces the 3 position switch. It has nothing to do with changing the scocet plugs. I know Phil was dealing with your Qz distributer to see if they will adapt to 240v, but like I said this unit just replaces the 3 position switch.

I will be getting a new pit, will definitly be pellet, I dont cook on anything else. Ther Traeger is an Excellent BBQ/Smoker/Grill, it has just not been able to go to the next level for competition cooking of chicken, at least for us. I am going to do my research, talke my time and find what is best for us in that department, About 6 more manufactures of pellet grills avaiable in US here that were not around when I bought my 1st Pellet unit in 2002!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

davo,

which method are you going to use for the ribs?

and yes you are right about the difference in the voltage stuff...my deluxe heater rod went nuclear on its first outing , and blew the house hold fuses...we hit the switch for it's inital burn in and the auger did it's thang, and the fan did it's thang and the hot rod did it's thang. then every thing stopped...we thought that's the way these things work...you know 1 minute on and two minutes orf...well after five or six minutes it didnot turn back on ..so i asked the minister for maths to check the time on the micro wave...guess what...yeah the power had been tripped...turned the traeger orf and switched the power back on.

after the power was turned back on i turned the traeger back on from a good distance ..the auger worked, the fan worked....but the hot rod just refused to play....thought it was the fuse ...turned power orf and changed fuse...still no go

bugger it....read the instructions and found you could do a manual light...so i put 0.25 cup of pellets in the burner pot and chucked in some metho....put a burning match to it and after 10 seconds or so turned the traeger back on.......not a problem worked real beaut....

any-how........the reason for this long winded typing talk....is.....my deluxe had an american voltage hot rod in it and that is the reason it went nucleaer and tripped the power......all good now craig has replaced the hot rod with an austrailian rated one.....one little bit of strange but, the fuse to the hot rod did not burn out..... weird hey......

godd luck ,davo

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Kev, I haven't got my Traeger yet, my delivery guy hasn't had a truck up that way yet so it might take another week or two..no worries..i got plenty of bbqs to play with while i'm waiting.
I'm not going to a lot of trouble tomorrow, just will go and buy some woolies ribs (2 packs) i still have one pack of 2 in the fridge defrosting so that'll give me 6 small slabs to play with and it'll just be the mrs & me so i just want to have a go at the WSM again to make up my mind if I might sell it or not.I'm resisting.

Just peel off the membrane, throw a light layer of salt flakes on them,make up the rest of the rub including raw sugar that's powdered down in a small mill, paprika,onion powder,garlic powder,a little cayenne,ground pepper...yeah that'll do it.when I see juices start coming out due to the salt (i actually call it sweating), then I'll use those juices as the binder for rest of the rub to stay on the ribs in the same way as if you'd run a light layer of white vinegar over the meat, i'll use the meats natural juices for the same thing.I sometimes use vinegar to dampen the ribs if I'm using a full combo rub (that's the rub including the salt content)

prelight the WSM by a chimney of lit followed by a chimney of unlit then wait till it's greyed over...that'll give me some time to finalise the ribs ( make sure the rub is evenly spread and then foil up the waterpan place in the WSM, place the grates on and then the ribs,,,,i'll leave them flat ontop of the foodgrate as they will not be long enough for my rib rack because they will be pre-cut in half from woolies....use some redgum wood (i ran outa hickory) smoke em for 3 hours, foil for 1 hour and firm up for final 30 mins to an hour till they start to tear at the bone....last 15 mins, brush all over with a nicely blended mix of sauces from the fridge....then it's down the hatch....anyway..that's the theory...I gotta make it work or it's 94811111 pizzahut delivery. :lol:

I hope that lighting probe in mine is the 240 volt job...although Phil hasn't mentioned any problems with his so yours might have been an isolated incident which may not (hopefully) happen again.

Anyway....we'll see what happens.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5