Hark Smoker - connect to natural gas?

All about smokers hot and cold
valamas

Hark Smoker - connect to natural gas?

Post by valamas »

Hello.

I am looking at the Hark smoker. Can this BBQ be connected to the natural gas point I have outside?

thanks
urbangriller

Re: Hark Smoker - connect to natural gas?

Post by urbangriller »

Here is what I tell my customers who ask that question:

The Smoker uses a small brass ring burner, so there is no reason why it would not work on natural gas, you would need a Gas Plumber to do the conversion; that said, the unit is only licensed for use with LPG in Australia, conversion will void the warranty.
You should also note that Natural Gas runs at a lower pressure than bottle gas, generally BBQ's on natural gas are not quite as hot.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
schoonerburger

Post by schoonerburger »

perfect timing guys

I'm about to move into a new house with natural gas and was wondering about my ALDI (harkish) smoker and changing it over.

I've looked around online to figure out what the Gas Plumbers do to change it over, I'm more than happy to get someone over to do it but just interested to know what the change to my bbq and smoker is apart from the regulator ?

Tim
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

As I understand it, just the bayonet hose thingy, the ring doesn't have "Jets" like a BBQ burner, so that shouldn't change???

But don’t quote me and I didn't recommend this illegal mod!

Make sure you get a gas plumber....at least then your insurance company will only have a bit of you for breakfast if it all goes bum up! :roll:

Chris
titch

Post by titch »

Hope you dont't mind but :wink:
Jet will need taking up a few sizes,
as well as other mods, as Chris did not advise you to do :lol:
I would not advise you to do the rejetting unless you have some jet reams and are a gas fitter.
The flame should be the same colour as on a gas home cooktop.
Cheers.
Titch

oops pictures of the jet :oops:

it feeds the air gas venturie.
Cheers
Titch
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

As I understand it they are made in LPG and imported that way, spares exist for warranty claims (of course) but to my knowlege parts are not sold by themselves!

Chris
titch

Post by titch »

dieseltojo wrote:Thanks Chris, starting to get that picture as well. The one I want to fix is well out of warrantee for a friend. May be better just to get a new one. I will try some ex market burners, not to worried as this stuff is pretty simple.

What part has failed,
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
valamas

Post by valamas »

All I did was drill the jet hole to 3mm. I did this in a vice which also helped me take off the hose too. So best to do this before assembly or as I did, disassemble to no damage something else because the current hose was on tight.

Took the knob off the front and the two screws to allow the copper piping to come free.

Carefully put that in a vice as the hose was really securely tightened. Undid that.

Then took the jet off. The hole looked like 0.5mm. I found from another web page to make the hole 1/8 inch or 3.175mm. 3mm then.

After that, blew any drill debris from the drilled jet. Put it back in and put the new regulator hose on. Worked a treat.