Hark Texas Pro-Pit Offset Smoker

All about smokers hot and cold
dryandice

Hark Texas Pro-Pit Offset Smoker

Post by dryandice »

G'day
Being a decent all rounder on Charcoal/Kettle/Gas burners, i've been looking into offset smoking.
Ive been there done that with a very cheap smoker to figure out very quickly that this is a "you get what you pay for" in terms of budgeting/cutting corners/cheap mods.
I've looked at the Char-Griller $600-800 models in Bunnings and all reviews say they're rubish.

I can't find much, but from the little iv'e found the Hark Texas Pro-Pit says its a pretty decent rig but reviews are very slim. Cost is roughly $1499 + Shipping which is abit of an investment.
Has anyone got any experience with the Hark newer model offset smokers?
Would appreciate any feedback!
Cheers Guys
- Josh
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Hark Texas Pro-Pit Offset Smoker

Post by Davo »

Yeah I think you'll find the Hark are pretty good, been around a while now and have good back up service.

https://www.thebbqstore.com.au/p/hark-t ... ale/HK0527

Above is $200 off so that should cover shipping..these look to be a good solid unit.

Offsets provide great results but are very hands on......have you considered a Bullet type smoker like a Weber Smokey Mountain available in 37cm, 47cm and 57cm (same width as Weber Kettle) or maybe the Pro-Q Elite 20 inch. The Pro-Q's are the cheaper of them but the Weber is more solid and both are set and forget basically once you get a handle on them and require little man handling once they settle whereas the offsets need feeding constantly and need more adjusting.

After the Harks then you get into the Southern Cross or Silver Creek smokers which are bother Australian made but up and over $3K.

https://www.silvercreeksmokers.com.au/i ... lver-creek

https://www.scsmokers.com.au/

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Andysmoked

Post by Andysmoked »

You could build your own. I built this reverse-flow for about $450. I learnt to weld while building it.
I too first bought a cheapie & found out why it was cheap. The one I built works a treat, & I can control temperature almost to the degree.

Just an option for you to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Andysmoked....you learnt to weld while building this smoker? Far-out...now I'm super impressed....just don't put a welder in my hands as I promise it won't look anything as good as this :lol:

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Andysmoked

Post by Andysmoked »

Davo wrote:Andysmoked....you learnt to weld while building this smoker? Far-out...now I'm super impressed....just don't put a welder in my hands as I promise it won't look anything as good as this :lol:

Davo
Davo

I can’t stress this strongly enough. There are a lot of UGLY WELDS on this build. [emoji23]
But each time I looks at them, I say “built not bought”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
titch

Post by titch »

Josh, give us an idea of where you are, maybe we can help more.
To me anything Hark is OK, not great,not without fixable faults, budget entry models.Help and warranty is good.
Stuff from Bunnings is usually a lot worse with no Help.

Andysmoked, kudos on your learning build, I promise to not look close.
Thank God for grinders :wink:
Cheers
Titch