Fornetto or Pro Q

All about smokers hot and cold
Seanie2020

Fornetto or Pro Q

Post by Seanie2020 »

Hi all, I have been shopping around for a next smoker, and set for the 18" with an extra stacker in case if I need to feed more people.

I'm deciding between the Fornetto Razzo 18" and Pro Frontier Elite 18", both have heat insulation handles. The Fornetto one is much heavier at 24kg, with thicker wall and more solid build, on the other hand the ProQ is around 16kg but 30% ($200) cheaper with the extra stacker.

ProQ has 2 models for 18", one is old Frontier, and better one is Frontier in Elite range, and apparently the cheaper Frontier has some leak issues, and the reviews on internet are rather mixed due to the similarity of the names.

I understand the thicker wall with Fornetto can maintain the temperature better than the ProQ theoretically, but not sure how big the difference is in real life. Just wondering has anyone used any of these before, and would be great if you can share some insights. Thanks
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Fornetto or Pro Q

Post by Davo »

Hi Seanie,

Sorry I didn't see your post until 3 days after it was written.

I've had a lot to do with these bullet shaped smokers but not with Pro-Q or the Fornetto. I've mainly been a user of the Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) which is a design the other two are based on as the WSM has been around for well over 20 years. The WSM comes in a 14.5 inch (37cm) a 18.5 inch (47cm) and a 22.5 inch (57cm).

So everyone knows the build quality that Weber is well known for and the WSM is no different in that quality as what the original Kettles are. So when I see a new brand come out I have to compare and judge the cooker on what i know from Weber.

The Pro-Q has been in Australia now for almost 10 years, maybe more now and come in 3 sizes, the usually the14 inch, 18 inch and the 20 inch. They all have the same equipment like hanging hooks and the ability to add more stackers, something the WSM can't do and the WSM lid can't sit flush with the bottom to make a small portable grill but the Pro-Q can and I think the Fornetto can also. WSM can't be locked together either however i have found that is not often needed unless you need to move it while it's cooking like at a Comp or something....I never needed it on the WSM but it's there.

I think if i was to buy a Pro-Q, I'd go for the bigger more expensive model which is still Cheaper than it's Weber competition because the metal just feels much more solid. The last time I seen the 18 inch Fronteir, it just felt tinny and 2nd rate but the 20 inch Excel was close to WSM feel and Quality.

The Pro-Q range have proven themselves to be a great competitor cooker on the BBQ comp scene and the users swear by them. Probably my only grip is the side access doors are too small and the smaller models feel a bit too tinny but apart from that, they are great value.

By the way...as I type this, theres a big clearance sale of Pro-Q advertised on their website.....up to 50% off.

Ok the Fornetto, the newest player on the block....must be a reason why these makers copy the original bullet shape smoker is because they truly work, the shape and the use of the water provides the temp control as well as providing steam to keep meat moist and combines with the smoke in order to seep deeper into the surface of the meat providing that awesome smoke ring.

I've only seen the fornetto bullet smoker in Bunnings and it's not always put together real well by staff so I discount it a bit, not against the product but by it's complete looks, feel and package....it feels solid, possibly a better feel than the Excel Elite Pro-Q but not to the WSM leval but still we are talking at a much lower price point so with that in mind, the Fornetto looks to be great value but not many i know have written about them yet as they haven't been in the market as long. The Fornetto has side clips and hanging capability as the Pro-Q.
I guess in time as people buy these units and give their reviews, then it'll be more clear of their value as a backyard smoker.
https://youtu.be/-SKeweAGyjU

https://youtu.be/7La711nGlpU

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5