First time smoked brisket – dry flat. What did I do wrong?

All about smokers hot and cold
matty

First time smoked brisket – dry flat. What did I do wrong?

Post by matty »

Finally got myself a smoker (WSM 18’) for Christmas. Have done chicken, lamb and ribs so far but this weekend I tried smoking my first low ‘n’ slow Brisket.

Grabbed a 3.8Kg Angus brisket which was just the right size to fit on my WSM 18’. It was a cheaper one ($13.99/Kg) as I figured I had a lot to learn and didn’t want to waste $ in case I screwed it up. I picked one that didn’t need me to trim much fat off; just a few really hard bits of fat which left a reasonable looking fat cap on one side and some scattered fat on the other side.

Used a salt and pepper rub with a bit of garlic powder.

Put the meat on when WSM reached dome temp of 200f. It was fairly stable at this for the first 5 hours, after which I realised it was likely too low and worked hard to up the temp to 225f and eventually to 250f for last 4 hours of the cook.

Decided not to wrap as I was planning to be home all day and had plenty of time.

It took 11 hours to get to 91 degrees C internal on the flat and when it got to that temp, I tested with a skewer, and it felt like I was putting the skewer into peanut butter, so I figured it was ready and took it off.

I separated the point so I could try making burnt ends. I tasted some of the cuts of point as I did iit and was great! Lovely juicy, flavoursome with some nice fat still intact and fall-apart tender. While I did this, the flat went into an esky in aluminium foil and covered in a towel for 30 minutes after which time I unwrapped it and sliced it up. The flat was tender and it was easy to pull-apart, but the slices were dry and didn’t have a lot of flavour. I know the flat is more prone to drying out, but the point seemed lovely and so very different to the flat?

As a first-timer, I’d really appreciate any advice on what happened here.
- Was the low temperature for the first few hours a problem?
- Perhaps that I didn’t spritz it at all?
- Or should I have left it to sit longer?
- Should I wrap cheaper cuts of brisket if I decide to use them or go for more expensive meat?
matty

Re: First time smoked brisket – dry flat. What did I do wrong?

Post by matty »

matty wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:19 pm As a first-timer, I’d really appreciate any advice on what happened here.
Bump.

Is anyone able to offer some advice?
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Hello Matty,

sorry your post wasn't answered......this forum is pretty much dead now and not many come here anymore, even myself and i'm a former Moderator.....I just came on as I thought it rude to keep someone hanging.

Please go over to https://smokefireandfood.com/forum/

The guys over there will answer any question you have on any food group and how to do it on BBQ,

This used to be a great forum but now it's more for archives.....even the forum owner doesn't come here anymore....it's a ghost town!! many appologies.

Davo

Former Mod/ Admin
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
matty

Post by matty »

Thanks Davo. I did go across to https://smokefireandfood.com/forum/ and posted. Got some good advice from the members there which I used to do my 2nd brisket last weekend. Cheers.