No idea what I'm doing lol

All about smokers hot and cold
Woody74

No idea what I'm doing lol

Post by Woody74 »

Hi peeps, don't even have a smoker yet, but was leaning towards a offset maybe, just wondering I'm keen to use wood but is there a unit that you can use for both? As in set and forget and sit by the fire and wait ?? Very green here, I don't even cook normally so go easy on me, just wanna get into smoking so the wife can have a few days off from cooking and stuff ( get in the good books) 😂. We have 7 kids so we may need 2 systems anyway lol. Cheers woody.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: No idea what I'm doing lol

Post by Davo »

Woody74 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:32 pm Hi peeps, don't even have a smoker yet, but was leaning towards a offset maybe, just wondering I'm keen to use wood but is there a unit that you can use for both? As in set and forget and sit by the fire and wait ?? Very green here, I don't even cook normally so go easy on me, just wanna get into smoking so the wife can have a few days off from cooking and stuff ( get in the good books) 😂. We have 7 kids so we may need 2 systems anyway lol. Cheers woody.
7 Kids...sheesh..yeah mate you need a BBQ as you obviously don't own a TV :lol: just kidding :lol:

If you want set and forget...definitely don't get an offset as they need stoking regularly, Maybe a Komado which uses charcoal that comes from wood but also for set n forget...a Pellet grill is probably the easiest to live with.
Pending on your budget...but you can buy a real good one for less than 2 grand.

brands for this price include Traeger, Green Mountain Grills (GMG) and Louisiana grills.

The beauty with the Pellet grills is that they are pretty clean to the burn as the heat is made from compressed natural wood sawdust with the moisture reduced and they burn cleanly and fairly economical. They are controlled by electricity by use of a digital thermostat that you can dial in the temp you want and provided you've ot the hopper filled with pellets, you whack a huge slab of meat in at night and dial it in to 225F or about 110C and hit the sack..get up at 6am and it'll still be churning away, smoking up your meat slab to tenderness. They'll also roast and grill at higher temps but will use more pellets of course.

Where abouts are you located?

Anyway...you could also start with a Weber...you can buy 4 new Weber kettles for the price of a Pellet BBQ so maybe look at buying 2 kettles which would be plenty of space for your large family.....not really designed for wood burning but it's not to say you can't...usually use charcoal or heatbeads and place some wood smoking chunks on the coals..

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Smokey

Re: No idea what I'm doing lol

Post by Smokey »

Hi Woody, If your aim is to get into meat smoking and learn the basics, All the way to some pretty complicated stuff? I would go for a quality bullet smoker like the Pro Q or Weber WSM. Hands down they will teach you the ropes about air control, Moisture and fire management. They also produce a very high quality food. Often better than what an offset can do for the layman.
Easily cook for 9 and cheap to buy and run. There is also a huge amount of user forums and you tube info out there about them.
In winter they make perfect cold smoking devices. I have most of the bbq types you could consider but the one I would recommend for you is a Bullet Smoker. If you do go an offset, Go big and lots of $$$ to save you going the sad way of the cheapies out there. Better off cutting your teeth on a proper offset than fuddling around with a bunnings job. Good luck and enjoy your journey
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au