Peach wood

All about smokers hot and cold
ehbits

Peach wood

Post by ehbits »

HI guys

just after some help. I may be able get hold of some peach wood soon and wondered what you have to do to use it for smoking. I've come across a few trees that will be removed with in next month or so and before they do i can grab some limbs if it worth getting..
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Peach wood

Post by Davo »

Hi Mate, if they're still in the ground or still on the tree they'd be still green for a while so you'd be best to season them for a few Months out in the weather once cut off.

What are you going to use the wood in? a Kettle or a offset or something else? But yeah, cut them in smaller chunks, about the size of your fist or a bit smaller, once dried and seasoned, they'd be nice sitting on coals smouldering away......if the wood is too young it'll create too much smoke and throw soot and junk all over your meat.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
ehbits

Post by ehbits »

thanks mate.. they are older tree's. my old man has an orchard and is having to pull some trees out as there is no money left in it.. he has been told the wood is the tree is worth more then the fruit. Just trying to figure if there is a market for the wood and what we would have to do to it and if people would buy it.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

There's always room for smoking wood, most of what you see in the stores are imported from the USA so theres a market always for a local, but you have to find a way to cut it into fist sized pieces and bag them into say 3-5 kg lots, theres probably more money in wood chips for those who use gas bbqs but it's a matter of being able to chip it economically.
Then.....there's pellets, but they are made from sawdust.

But even though they may be old trees, they need to be dried out and seasoned a bit first before they can be used as a smoking wood...in the meantime, do the research into a market...always a market....especially now.

Do you have farmers markets near you? why not set up a store with an equal amount of bags of chunks and chips and see what sells more readily. Chunks are better for low n slow as they smoulder much better whereas chips burn a lot faster and are used for some light smoke over a shorter period of time.

Maybe also you know some people in the apple orchard business too....buy some old trees or cuts and do the same as apple wood and peach are popular fruitwoods for smoking.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5