New to BBQ smoking

All about smokers hot and cold
Stergios

New to BBQ smoking

Post by Stergios »

Hello all,

i'm new to bbq smoking & keen to develop this into a hobby. i'm looking at my first inexpensive purchase & have come across this:

https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/proq ... -package-1

is there value in this? keen for tips!

Thank you!
Angryman65

Re: New to BBQ smoking

Post by Angryman65 »

That is one of the most versatile BBQ /Smokers around. I can't say enough good things about mine. Great price too.

You will be able to do just about anything with that. Low and Slow pulled pork, Roasts etc and if you get a cold smoke generator from Bunnings you can do your own cold smoked salmon, cheese, nuts anything.

I've posted a fair few cooks here as have others, if you get it and need advice just ask.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
titch

Post by titch »

First Competition I ever went to as a spectator had these being used by a Top Team
Cheers
Titch
Stergios

Post by Stergios »

Thank you for the feedback.

Gonna read up on posts here what I require in terms of accessories, food, to go for my first attempt
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Start simple with something inexpensive and forgiving like chicken drumsticks.

Don't get too carried away with the amount of smoke you introduce, eating a bushfire can be the end result of over smoking and then your family will whinge (personal experience).

This recipe is both tasty and forgiving. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11007&hilit=thai+bbq+chicken

I've done it with drumsticks before and they come out great, otherwise just a simple rub and into the smoker. An instant read thermometer or a remote probe are handy. Just remember that every time you lift the lid you add to the cooking time. "If you're looking, it's not cooking"
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

A good price to try smoking.

Save some extra dollars by buying your heat beads from Bunnings. Heaps cheaper than BBQ Galore/supermarket prices.

7.5kg for $11.98

https://www.bunnings.com.au/heat-beads- ... s_p0029014

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Stergios wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:49 am Hello all,

i'm new to bbq smoking & keen to develop this into a hobby. i'm looking at my first inexpensive purchase & have come across this:

Thank you!
Hi and Welcome Stergios, the Pro=Q bullet shaped smoker designed similarly to the Weber Smokey Mountain cooker are a water smoker and even though some of the more experienced users might use them without water, my suggestion is to use it as it's intended, with the water bowl full of water.....firstly this will regulate the smoker temp and act as a heat sink, so water's boiling temp is 100C or 212F, the unit won't go too much higher than that, usually around the 120-130C or around 250F....but that's ok because it's still within effective smoking temp range. The average smoking temp is around the 106C or 225F on the top lid temp guage.

You'll need to refil the water probably around every 3-4 hours if required....but the other reason for the water is that it becomes steam once it gets over 100C and then mixes with the smoke which will surround the food evenly with the smoke so all of the meat gets it's fair share of smokey goodness but it also ensures it doesn't end up like a bushfire smoke session as angryman65 has stated.

They are great fun to use, fairly economical too, with it's 2 levels of food racks, it's surprising how much meat you can put on it.

Learn the minion method with these type of smokers....fill the charcoal cage with about 80%full of unlit charcoal, then a full chimney of lit onto with smoking wood chunks buried in the unlit and a couple on top, when the lid temp guage gets to about 200F or around 90C, close all bottom vents fully until the temp gauge needle stops, then open up the bottom vents to about 25% open but leave the top vent fully open otherwise you may get like a sooty film on your meat.....doesn't matter if the temps fluctuate a little, it's not an exact science but we aim to keep it around 225F or 106C for large cuts like brisket, pulled pork, ribs etc....however with chicken, if you cook chicken with skin at this temp, the skin will become rubbery so it's best to aim for 150-180C.....what I usually do for chicken pieces or chickens in general is to take out the water bowl and use it like a drum smoker, because the food is still a fair way from the coals (all fully lit) the driplets from the chickens will make smoke and the skin will be a lot more firm and crispy.

Hope that kinda gets you going with it.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Stergios

Post by Stergios »

Great feedback everyone. I pick it up tomorrow & head to meat stock on Sunday. So will be active here when I get a good chance of marinating meats & start cooking
RossBolden06

Post by RossBolden06 »

Davo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:19 am
Stergios wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:49 am Hello all,

Thank you!
Hi and Welcome Stergios, the Pro=Q bullet shaped smoker designed similarly to the Weber Smokey Mountain cooker are a water smoker and even though some of the more experienced users might use them without water, my suggestion is to use it as it's intended, with the water bowl full of water.....firstly this will regulate the smoker temp and act as a heat sink, so water's boiling temp is 100C or 212F, the unit won't go too much higher than that, usually around the 120-130C or around 250F....but that's ok because it's still within effective smoking temp range. The average smoking temp is around the 106C or 225F on the top lid temp guage.

You'll need to refil the water probably around every 3-4 hours if required....but the other reason for the water is that it becomes steam once it gets over 100C and then mixes with the smoke which will surround the food evenly with the smoke so all of the meat gets it's fair share of smokey goodness but it also ensures it doesn't end up like a bushfire smoke session as angryman65 has stated.

They are great fun to use, fairly economical too, with it's 2 levels of food racks, it's surprising how much meat you can put on it.

Learn the minion method with these type of smokers....fill the charcoal cage with about 80%full of unlit charcoal, then a full chimney of lit onto with smoking wood chunks buried in the unlit and a couple on top, when the lid temp guage gets to about 200F or around 90C, close all bottom vents fully until the temp gauge needle stops, then open up the bottom vents to about 25% open but leave the top vent fully open otherwise you may get like a sooty film on your meat.....doesn't matter if the temps fluctuate a little, it's not an exact science but we aim to keep it around 225F or 106C for large cuts like brisket, pulled pork, ribs etc....however with chicken, if you cook chicken with skin at this temp, the skin will become rubbery so it's best to aim for 150-180C.....what I usually do for chicken pieces or chickens in general is to take out the water bowl and use it like a drum smoker, because the food is still a fair way from the coals (all fully lit) the driplets from the chickens will make smoke and the skin will be a lot more firm and crispy.

Hope that kinda gets you going with it.

Cheers

Davo
Thank for sharing.
You are wikipedia!!!
Ross B. Bolden
Try Hard !!! :D :D :D
Good - Better - Best.