Newbie to smoker BBQ

All about smokers hot and cold
Mackah

Newbie to smoker BBQ

Post by Mackah »

Guys, looking at investing in my first smoker, need a bit of help.

Im looking for pros or cons towards what type of smoker to buy eg barrel & drum, offset, bullet..

Initially I was going to get a barrel type offset smoker, but after reading a few posts and seeing a lot of blokes have kamado or the proQs I'm not sure if the offset one is the best option.

I've been looking at the pro smoke offset smoker from BBQ galore

https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/pro- ... set-smoker

I'd be waiting to use it for some grilling, smoking, and some low and slow cooking.

Any advice/tips for a beginner?
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Newbie to smoker BBQ

Post by Davo »

Hi & Welcome Mackah,

That's a pretty good special price but i'm not surprised, the offset type BBQs are one for the purist and they do take constant monitoring compared to the other types of BBQs you've looked at. The Offset style BBQ runs on either charcoal or straight wood, they are versatyle in the sense that you can use the firebox as a grill. I've never used an offset myself but have been around them at the BBQ comps and they are constantly fed new wood so for a learner, unless you're really wanting to be fully hands on, I'd go for something that's not so time consuming.
The Pro Q and Weber Smokey Mountain bullet type smokers are that, they can churn away relentlessly once the temps and vents are set, just takes a little learning but they are great little smokers.
Komado style smokers are another easy to set up and use grill with even more versatility as they can roast, smoke and grill and the ceramic shell keeps all the moisture within.
Another very versatile piece of kit are the wood pellet smokers, they can do virtually any type of BBQ cooking and is a matter of of dailing in the desired temp from the electrical thermastat control, place in your big hunk of meat, go to bed and it'll be still churning away nicely in the morning.....they arn't cheap but are a good unit. Theres 4 makes available now in Australia...Traeger, GMG, Yoder and Louisiana grills.

But for a beginner to churn out good BBQ....I highly recommend the bullet type BBQs they are still winning big prizes by Competitors at BBQ comps in Australia and Overseas so they are not just for beginners.

Mind you, a basic Weber kettle can still churn out nice BBQ with a little practice....

Hope that helps you in your decision.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Mackah

Post by Mackah »

Thanks davo,

I'm looking at being fairly hands on, as I have cooked a few roasts and some low and slow as such on the BBQ and am one to stand around with a froff and stare at the thermometer to see how much it fluctuates and play with the nozzles, but I'm just a lover on the charcoal/smokey BBQ flavour. I think I'm gunna have to go have a look at the options I have and have a good think about it 😂
RossBolden06

Post by RossBolden06 »

If you are a new beginer.
You should look for the best gas and charcoal grill combo for enjoying your meat in different cooking methods.
The good news is that you can completely expect more than that in this article .
https://kitchentoolsclub.com/best-gas-c ... o-reviews/
Ross B. Bolden
Try Hard !!! :D :D :D
Good - Better - Best.