Rookie looking for first smoker - Need help & advice

All about smokers hot and cold
kimura

Rookie looking for first smoker - Need help & advice

Post by kimura »

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to the world of smoking. I've been looking at my options and I think I'm swaying towards a Kamado due to their versatility . Smoking is my #1 goal but I'd also like the flexibility to do low & slow for pulled meat. Grilling, and doing pizza, etc, would be an added bonus if possible.

I've come across 3 different models/options;
As I'm new to smoking I'm not really sure what is the real difference between these 3 model's, so any insight there would be appreciated.

Alternatively I was looking at the following; I've never really used charcoal so I know there's a huge learning curve so I would like something that is easy to control and maintain. Something close to "Set & forget" would be great; I don't mind checking on my food periodically but it would be great if there's a charcoal option where I don't need to feed it every hour and check it every 15 minutes.

I know I've put out a lot of options but I'm quite new to this so not 100% sure where to start or what a good starting point is. If there's anything I've missed that may be a good match for a newbie, please let me know, approximately $1,000 AUD is my limit.

Thanks!
Angryman65

Re: Rookie looking for first smoker - Need help & advice

Post by Angryman65 »

Go for the Pro-Q. I have one and love it. Haven't tried the other so can't fairly compare.

Lots of versatility in what you can cook, very forgiving and easy to learn to use.

Can even go for the cold smoking option with a generator.

You'll have heaps of change left out of the $1000 too.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
AntinOz

Re: Rookie looking for first smoker - Need help & advice

Post by AntinOz »

You got a lot of good content on KG before your thread got hijacked!

I love my Akorn so I am biased. If I had to do it again I would probably buy another Akorn. Helps that I picked up bunnings floor stock for $350. It will keep going even if I move "up" to a ceramic. It has done everything from a 15 hour cook for a pork shoulder to a 3 minute pizza.