Heat retention between ProQ Frontier vs Elite vs Ranger Elite. +Help choosing a model

All about smokers hot and cold
Sarcastic_Smoker

Heat retention between ProQ Frontier vs Elite vs Ranger Elite. +Help choosing a model

Post by Sarcastic_Smoker »

Hello all.

First time poster, hopefully long time stayer. I'm interested in getting a smoker. The standard ProQ Frontier was going to be my first choice as it was cheap enough but well built. Then I found out my families will be pooling money together for Christmas :D so I'll prob be able to upgrade to a better model. Sadly the Excel will still be out of my price range :(

List of models: http://proqsmokers.com.au/products/3-in-1-bbq-smokers/

I've been doing a hefty amount of research but sadly I can only find so much info on each product. The difference between the ProQ Frontier and Elite seems to be thickness of metal and the Elite is built with better materials. ProQ also have their Ranger Elite.

The Ranger's price point is in between the Frontier and the Elite coming to around $379. Apparently, according to their website, it's their "entry level smoker". (Despite it being more expensive then the Frontier). It's also smaller then the Frontier. 98cm X 37cm vs 102cm x 43cm. I'll rarely be cooking for more then 4 people but still 37cm wide seems really small. Though both the Ranger and Frontier apparntly have the same cooking capacity which is 50lbs.

What drew me to the Frontier is this quote. "The ProQ Ranger Elite, although smaller than it’s family is part of the new Elite Series from ProQ, this means that it’s made from a thicker material than seen previously on our smokers"

I can't see any actual measurements or data on heat retention. But if the thickness is greater then even the Excel, which it should be by that quote, I'll buy it. Or at least if you guys think the extra thickness is worth it against size. I mean the Proq Frontier is $264 and bigger. The Frontier Elite is bigger but I'm not sure if I want to spend $479 on my entry smoker.

Cheer in advance. Sorry about the wall of text.
Bronson

Re: Heat retention between ProQ Frontier vs Elite vs Ranger Elite. +Help choosing a model

Post by Bronson »

OK to give you an idea of what your looking with the Proq smokers, before the elite series the names were just excel and frontier and ranger and were basically the same design just different sizes in the product and cooking area. Like all products the makers listened to suggestions and/or feed back from customers and the spec's were changed. The reason the standard Frontier is cheap is it is the original design and I own one and have no issues cooking with it, the other reason it is so cheap may have to do with Bunnings selling a knock off of it at that price point.
Remember this products come from the usa and that would be there main market, it snow's in many places out there so this could be the reason why they have upgraded to heavier steel in the manufacturing or maybe the feed back about the wsm having thicker steel was the reason...?
The thicker the steel the more insulation and heat retention the smoker will have so on cold windy days the cook temps should be more stable, but if you live in the warmer parts of Oz then the standard frontier will be fine or if you have a protected area to put the cooker in (there is a photo of one in a brick surround on here somewhere) I am guessing that at some time when the stocks of the standard frontier have sold, it will only be the elite range available for purchase.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Heat retention between ProQ Frontier vs Elite vs Ranger Elite. +Help choosing a model

Post by Davo »

Hi and welcome to the forum S_S,

Have you looked what Bunnings have to offer? Maybe an alternative to the Pro-Q maybe the Akorn Komado which will smoke, roast and grill and is much better built with good insulation.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/char-grille ... r_p3180332

or

Bunnings also have their own upright smoker available which you might be interested in. The Fornetto is basically a knock-off of the Pro-Q but it might be worth having a look for feel and comparison.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/fornetto-18 ... r_p3180796.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Sarcastic_Smoker

Bronson wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:15 am OK to give you an idea of what your looking with the Proq smokers, before the elite series the names were just excel and frontier and ranger and were basically the same design just different sizes in the product and cooking area. Like all products the makers listened to suggestions and/or feed back from customers and the spec's were changed. The reason the standard Frontier is cheap is it is the original design and I own one and have no issues cooking with it, the other reason it is so cheap may have to do with Bunnings selling a knock off of it at that price point.
Remember this products come from the usa and that would be there main market, it snow's in many places out there so this could be the reason why they have upgraded to heavier steel in the manufacturing or maybe the feed back about the wsm having thicker steel was the reason...?
The thicker the steel the more insulation and heat retention the smoker will have so on cold windy days the cook temps should be more stable, but if you live in the warmer parts of Oz then the standard frontier will be fine or if you have a protected area to put the cooker in (there is a photo of one in a brick surround on here somewhere) I am guessing that at some time when the stocks of the standard frontier have sold, it will only be the elite range available for purchase.
Hey. Cheers for the tips. Yea I suppose the need for retention would be less here in OZ. I kind of want to go for just the Standard ProQ but the Elite series looks so much better. :P
Davo wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:58 pm Hi and welcome to the forum S_S,

Have you looked what Bunnings have to offer? Maybe an alternative to the Pro-Q maybe the Akorn Komado which will smoke, roast and grill and is much better built with good insulation.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/char-grille ... r_p3180332

or

Bunnings also have their own upright smoker available which you might be interested in. The Fornetto is basically a knock-off of the Pro-Q but it might be worth having a look for feel and comparison.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/fornetto-18 ... r_p3180796.

Cheers

Davo
Heya and thanks. I have looked the Komado and similar products. I mostly just want to smoke. Occasionally I'll do some grilling which I can do on the ProQ, just not as easily. The ProQ, or Fornetto, are better if your main goal is smoking correct?

I've been umming and ahhing about the Fornetto. I'm sure they're just the same as the Standard Frontier but I've been leaning towards the ProQ just because it's the original.
Bronson

Post by Bronson »

You will enjoy either of the Pro q smokers, easy to use and run well on a load of fuel and have been design for smoking but you can grill or bake in them as well.
Sarcastic_Smoker

Bronson wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:14 pm You will enjoy either of the Pro q smokers, easy to use and run well on a load of fuel and have been design for smoking but you can grill or bake in them as well.
Guess it just comes down to how much money is going to be spent! Haha.

Cheers.