My first smoke

All about smokers hot and cold
Woody1969

My first smoke

Post by Woody1969 »

Hi All.
Today will be the first time I've cooked using the smoker method. I'm cooking a beer can chicken and a deboned leg of lamb both have been in the fridge for the last 10 hours with Jamaican bbq rub over them plus a few different types of sausages just to try out and see how they go.
I have done a lot of reading and reasearch over the last few weeks and are confident that all will go well with my cook today but if anyone has any last minute tips they would be greatly appreciated.
Also I have one question if someone can answer.
Should I put my beer can chicken, which will sit on a stand, on a tin tray or straight onto the grill. Also, should I have the lamb on the lower shelf and the chicken and sausages on the top shelf ???

Thank you in advance.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: My first smoke

Post by Davo »

Hi Woody, by the sounds of it you're using a bullet type smoker?

For the Chicken and Lamb, try to get the temps around 280F minimum or you'll end up with rubbery skin, the lamb & snags will do well at these temps also. By doing this you'll need a full chimney of lit coals to place in the fire pit...that's all you'll probably need without having to replenish new coals even if the temp dies down a bit towards the end as the crispier skin happens during the first hour anyway and the rest of the heat brings the meat up to desired temp. If using a Gas or electric cabinet smoker, just keep the chamber around the 280-320F range.

Best of luck with it...we'll need to see pictures after the event.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5