44 gallon drum smoker

All about smokers hot and cold
Brandoneatsmeat

44 gallon drum smoker

Post by Brandoneatsmeat »

Hey all just wondering if a 44 gallon drum will hold a good consistant temp for smoking ? Would it be to thin ?
Cheers
C.B & S.

Re: 44 gallon drum smoker

Post by C.B & S. »

Hey Brandon,
Welcome to the forum. It is not an area I can help with but I am sure you can use it subject probably to what was it the drum or if new.
I had a look at the first page here and there is some info about drums on there. I am sure you will find your answer in this section or somebody more in the know will jump in.
All the best,
Good luck with your project.
Cheers.
"Keeping Smoking Simple" (c)
Aldi Smoker. Camp Chef 18" Smoke Vault/ Masterbuilt Thermo-Temp XL--( All Gas )
Z & B 4 burner Turbo Classic
Maverick ET-7/72.Thermoworx Smoke
Yoder Kingsman & Other BBQ gear for HIRE.

Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

G'day Brandon and welcome aboard. Jump into the 'Forum Welcome' section and tell us a bit about yourself.

In relation to the 44 gallon drum question. If you search for 'Ugly Drum Smoker' or 'UDS" you'll find heaps of smokers with the humble 44 as the vessel of choice. There's also at least one commercial kit available (that I know of) to suit a 44, search for the 'Pit Barrel Cooker' .
With a smoker it's about regulating the air flow. The ambient temp plays a small part as the smoking temps are low, so there isn't as much cooking temperature to be 'leached' by the ambient air, so the cooking vessel doesn't have to be super thick or insulated.
All the best, and welcome again.
Brandoneatsmeat

Post by Brandoneatsmeat »

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated :)
smokerjoe

Post by smokerjoe »

I have built 2 drum smokers there unreal. Good on fuel like 1bad heat beats will burn for 20plus hours. And they produce great bbq.
eltaco

Post by eltaco »

Yeah, absolutely can't go wrong with the drum smoker.

I was amazed at just how well they keep temperature right around 250f without much prompting.