new drum smoker

All about smokers hot and cold
writa

new drum smoker

Post by writa »

Hi all.
I'm new here and am about to build my first smoker from a 44 gallon drum with the coals at the bottom (obviously) a rack set about halfway up with a large cut out of it then hinged back on for the lid/door/flap.
Sorry the crappy phone I currently have won't let me upload the pics I have. :?
My question is,
With the fire/coal pit being all enclosed within the same unit, will it not effect the smoking by constantly lifting the lid to fuel up the coals every time or being that it is enclosed will the coals stay consistent for longer than I think and will only have to refuel 2-3-4 times throughout the process?

I will be looking at cooking slow and long (anywhere from 4-12 hours) with everything from pork shoulder, brisket, ribs, chicken, legs of lamb... etc.

The only thing I don't like is that I won't be able to see the bottom with the coals to tell when it needs stoaking/refueling.
I guess it will mainly consist of trial and error but I don't want to be wasting all that delicious meat in the process.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Smokey

Re: new drum smoker

Post by Smokey »

Hello mate,
The idea is to put in more fuel than what you need and only light the top so it slowly burns down.
Once you done cooking you close off everything and the fire goes out. You are then left with unburned fuel that can be mixed in with your next cook. Komado's, Pro Q's Weber WSM's all work on this same principal.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
writa

Post by writa »

So basically the same format as a Webber kettle only don't crank it at the start if I understand correctly?
I'm looking at using wood from red wine oak from barrels for flavour.
So load with coal and wood. Light it and pretty much as long as there's smoke coming out the exhauat, its smoking/cooking?
And adjust temperature accordingly by using the vents?
smokerjoe

Post by smokerjoe »

Do a vertical drum smoker coals in the bottom in a basket. 2 to 3 racks can buy at bbq calories. I also put doors on the front of mine so I can add wood chunck. Or can even use as a stick burner. They work pretty good as well.
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

G'day Writa,
Have a search for the 'minion method' and you'll find what you're after.
If you can fab a door or flap at the bottom of the drum near the fuel basket, you'll be able to check your fuel supply without lifting the lid.
It would be great to see some pics of your setup when you've built it.
All the best,
Steve
writa

Post by writa »

Thanks for the advice all.
I'm gonna go go back over my over my build plan and play around with it a bit and take on what's been said.
I'll definitely put up pictures of the finish project once its all finalized and complete. :D