Bradley question: Multi-use smoker?

All about smokers hot and cold
Paul-G

Bradley question: Multi-use smoker?

Post by Paul-G »

Hi everyone,

Long time between posts - I hope you're all well!

As well as getting into BBQ, I'm wanting to make my own dried meats (Biltong). For that, I have been planning on creating a cabinet to keep meat at a constant, very low temp (40 degrees), with decent air circulation.

Now, I've toyed with making my own (and failed), but am now considering whether a smoker cabinet like a Bradley Digital would work for this.

My concerns thus far are that there's no fan to circulate air, so I'd be relying on thermal forces to do the circulation for me.

The other issue is that when I use it for smoking, I don't like the idea of being tied into buying Bradley's briquettes.

So I guess my questions are:
1. For anyone who has a Bradley Smoker, would there be any inlet that I could place a fan against to circulate air?
2. Has anyone managed to get around the proprietary fuel issue with the Bradley unit?

Thanks so much,

Paul
beginner

Re: Bradley question: Multi-use smoker?

Post by beginner »

I looked into this a while back, for biltong isn't it just a box with a computer fan at room temp? If you need to heat it check out reptile supplies for ceramic heat lamps and thermostats, they should get you 40c no drama.