Black wattle???

All about smokers hot and cold
nebben838

Black wattle???

Post by nebben838 »

Hey guys,
I live on the mornington peninsula in victoria. Im trying to source wood for an offset smoker but other than red gum theres not alot available. I have heard that black wattle is good for most things and i can get it relativly easily. What are peoples thoughts and experiences using black wattle?

Thanks,
Ben.
rustoration

Re: Black wattle???

Post by rustoration »

Hey Ben,

Not used black wattle myself, but the reguarly updated matrix on this topic http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... =39&t=7924 is great place to start.

Cheers, Jon
Low n' slow... The art of bbq and classic VW's
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Be careful using Black Wattle, it burns very hot and can crack a cast iron slow combustion stove top.

One of the local bakeries used it in their wood fired ovens for years because you didn't need a lot to get a good heat so its worth a try but take little steps rather than find out the hard way.

Sap and moisture pours out of it if it's a bit green too
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

As stated by AM65, It burns very hot and only small fires are required.
It is however very dense and full of tannin. This gives it a very strong smoke. Removing the bark is recommended as the bark stinks when burned.
I would use it as a spice wood to your existing river gum.
There is a bloke who cranks up a huge trailer mounted Radar Hill offset smoker each weekend down at a local country store selling smoked chooks and his signature smoke profile is red iron bark as the base fire and dopes that with small amounts of macadamia wood.
Macadamia is also a strong smoke but he is using it in a smart way. You might be able to blend your own profile in the same way.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au