Psycho - Mareeba Build - Test Fire

All about smokers hot and cold
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

Well its taken a while but just about there with only a bit of tidying up to do.
Gave a test run and seasoned it the other day and I was expecting hiccups but it ran better than I had hoped.

Just for members Info this is the real Psycho. He supervised the build because he takes his BBQ very, very, seriously!

Just a shot of the smoker from the right. I used a rage to plug the inlet for the probes of the Q -Mater and you can see the 2" ball valve for manual operation - I went manual for this run as I really wanted to test run it to see if I had wasted my time and money.

A shot from another angle showing the trailer. It hitches up to the ride-on mower to move it around. The thing loaded with all the grills etc. I am guessing would weigh in at around the 200 kg mark.

Fired up and a pic of the exhaust. A piece of cake to set up. just kept closing the exhaust until a puff of smoke appeared from the intake and opened the exhaust until there was draw into the charcoal chamber. I kept on closing the intake and doing the above until there was just enough air entering to keep the mallee root lit.

Got it to about 200 f without the water pan in and gave all the internal a spray with rice bran oil. Water pan in and about an hour later all up to temp again.

The temp gauge. This thing just sits on 225 F and holds stable - I was really surprised at how I did not have to muck around to get it to sit steady on the target temp.

The cooking chamber. Just checking the smoke from the Red Iron Bark I threw on the charcoal for seasoning.

The charcoal draw is the only thing I will modify as the charcoal jumped the baffles I made up to force the charcoal to snake. It wont take much and I reckon I have it sussed out.

It ran for a total 17 hrs and the only time it came off temp was when I checked it in the morning the temp had gone to about 300 f and I am figuring this probably happened when the charcoal jumped the baffles. But I still had a quarter left in the water pan which is something I wanted to checkout for overnight cooks and I reckon the Q-Master and blower will take care of the coal.

Got to go - work tomorrow - Got to pay for the pork ribs I ordered for the christening on the weekend

Psycho

Cofounder of the TBSG
Psycho

Re: Psycho - Mareeba Build - Test Fire

Post by Psycho »

Forgot to mention a big thankyou to American BBQ Australia for the bits and pieces required for this build. Austin ordered the temp gauge in from the USA and nothing was too much trouble. If he did not have what I needed he got it in for me.

Psycho
Pesto3

Post by Pesto3 »

Mate, that looks awesome!!! Looking forward to seeing some cooks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

Thanks Presto,
I have never done authentic low and slow anything before but the christening is this arvo with some pork ribs.
I've got some Oakridge pork and chicken rub to put on them and once it in the smoker I will YouTube and work out what to do for the rest of the cook i.e. wrapping and mopping sauce etc.

Psycho
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

Broke in the smoker with some Pork ribs and I am real happy as this was my first go at Low & Slow.

Did a dry salt brine for two hours last night with about 2 teaspoons of Kosher salt

While I was waiting for the smoker to heat up I washed the salt off, dried the ribs and then coated them in Mustard sauce - something for the Oak Ridge Pork and chicken rub to bond too and then applied the rub.

The mopping sauce was made from

2 parts Smokey BBQ sauce
1 part apple juice
1 part apple cider vinegar
and brown sugar to taste (2 teaspoons about)

I smoked it for about 2 and 1/2hours on hickory. would have tried something different but as this was my first attempt I knew hickory would be a winner. Play with the next one.

The mopping sauce was applied just prior to putting them in the smoker and about every hour after that to sort of build up the sauce to get a good bark.

Not much of a smoke ring but I reckon the mopping sauce would have hindered it forming but wow the flavour was terrific and it had a beautiful bite. The meat was moist but not soggy and the spicy note of the rub made me think of beer to wash it down.

Full now !

Got to go.

Psycho
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

Just read what I wrote and it was 2 and 1/2 hours on hickory in a five hour cook.

Psycho
Pesto3

Post by Pesto3 »

Psycho, that's your first low n slow....and ribs as well....you nailed it mate! They look great! As for the smoke ring, if doesn't impart any actual flavor so who cares. It's Just for looks. I use mustard on all my pork low n slows but that can also hinder a good deep smoke ring, or any binder for that matter. So if you're after that, next time skip the binder.

Again, nice cook mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk