Caring for a mistreated smoker.

All about smokers hot and cold
AnzacPaul

Caring for a mistreated smoker.

Post by AnzacPaul »

Hi All,

I've picked up a second-hand Hark today, for the grand sum of $50. But as you can imagine for that price, it needs some love. Structurally it's fine, no dings dents etc, doors close nicely.

However;

First problem, it has no grills. Easy fixed, can get them locally from a hark dealer for $16.50

Second problem, No top for the woodchip box. Pretty easily fixed, should be able to source something from work or worst case replacement tray and lid is $21.45.

Third problem, ignition is not working 100%. for every 15 clicks it might ark once. Not sure about this one - will have to do some research but imagine its an easy fix (perhaps sand the metal back close to the arking points to allow better contact?

Fourth, it's absolutely filthy. It needs a good clean. I've included some pictures (Excuse the quality)- and ideally i'd like to get it back to somewhat sanitary before I start putting my own food in there. This is where I really need help. What do people recommend to clean it up?

Thanks in advance!!

ImageImage
Angryman65

Re: Caring for a mistreated smoker.

Post by Angryman65 »

Cant really see that well from the pictures the state of the inside but if its all fatty and horrible, give it a blast with one of those aerosol oven cleaners and then agitate with a long handled pot scrubber brush (you can get them cheap at Bunnings and throw it out after using it, you're still in front)

Hose it out and maybe repeat if necessary, then fix the igniter because it will be wet as well as faulty.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
AnzacPaul

Re: Caring for a mistreated smoker.

Post by AnzacPaul »

Thanks Angryman,

I believe it's a combination of creosote and fat. I did a bit of research on creosote last night, and even though it was about chimneys, I seem to have the same problem (thick tar). You can buy some form of cleaners which dissolves the creosote but i'm not sure what effect that will have on the smoker itself.

Also as a side note, Hark just contacted me and you can buy new grills and brackets directly from them $10 each! Bargain. With $15 for shipping, it's still cheaper than my local dealer and the brackets are included.