Aldi gas smoker

All about smokers hot and cold
Gizo

Aldi gas smoker

Post by Gizo »

I have just purchased a Aldi gas smoker
I have done my first couple of cook and been really happy with the results.
I have used chips and pellets. Neither seem to smoke for very long maybe 20 minutes at a time.
I found every 30-45 minutes I was adding a small handful,of pellets.
Is this right?
Is there anyway I can get longer smoke times?
Any ads isle using this smoker would be appreciated.

Tim
Bull hooded bbq, Ziegler and brown hooded, charcoal spit, hangs in a keg, coolabah vertical smoker
Smokey Dazz

Re: Aldi gas smoker

Post by Smokey Dazz »

I`ve got an amaze-n-smoker for my electric smoker.
It can be used internally or externally with the letterbox mod.
The second method is good for cold smoking.
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

I think meat takes on most of its smoke in the first 20 min anyhow
AussieBBQSmoke

Post by AussieBBQSmoke »

G'day, maybe I can help,
We have had many inquiries on the Aldi/Coolabah/Hark Gas Smoker as it is difficult to turn the gas right down and gets too hot for Chips and Pellets, we trialled a successful solution a while back, see Smoking Techniques Tip #27 on our website Smoking Techniques Page: http://www.aussiebbqsmoke.com/Smoking_Techniques.html

27 Solution to the Aldi Coolabah Gas Smoker getting too hot and burning up BBQ Smoker Wood Chips:
Push the smoker box tray back as far as you can against the back wall, split 2 BBQ Smoker Chunks into half or quarters and place in the smoker box against the wall, and close the lid. Chunks won’t ignite and burn up like Wood Chips tend to do in this gas smoker. Smoker wood needs to smolder not catch fire.
Gizo

Post by Gizo »

AussieBBQSmoke wrote:G'day, maybe I can help,
We have had many inquiries on the Aldi/Coolabah/Hark Gas Smoker as it is difficult to turn the gas right down and gets too hot for Chips and Pellets, we trialled a successful solution a while back, see Smoking Techniques Tip #27 on our website Smoking Techniques Page: http://www.aussiebbqsmoke.com/Smoking_Techniques.html

27 Solution to the Aldi Coolabah Gas Smoker getting too hot and burning up BBQ Smoker Wood Chips:
Push the smoker box tray back as far as you can against the back wall, split 2 BBQ Smoker Chunks into half or quarters and place in the smoker box against the wall, and close the lid. Chunks won’t ignite and burn up like Wood Chips tend to do in this gas smoker. Smoker wood needs to smolder not catch fire.
Thanks, sounds pretty good, I have some wood chunks that I will try on the next session,
Bull hooded bbq, Ziegler and brown hooded, charcoal spit, hangs in a keg, coolabah vertical smoker
ScottM

Post by ScottM »

That method is great.

I cooked some Texas T-Bones last night in my Aldi Gas Smoker.

Here's how I do it. Would love tips / corrections as I'm quite new to smoking:
  1. Coat T-bones in Olive Oil
  2. Cover T-bones in your favourite rub. (or even just pepper and salt)
  3. Place mesquite chips (enough to half fill the box) in water to soak. (BCF sell Apple, Mesquite and Hickory or Woolworths has Hickory. BCF is better value for money.
  4. Wait 30 minutes
  5. Drain wood chips
  6. Fill the rear half of the wood box with mesquite chips
  7. Place the wood box in the centre, right over the burner
  8. Start smoker on MAX burner/temp setting
  9. Wait until you can see thin wisps of smoke. (Check it's not just steam by smelling it)
  10. Use tongues to push smoke box to the VERY BACK of the smoker
  11. * Control the level of smoke by moving it as required. e.g. if it stops smoking slide it forward a little
  12. Push burner control knob in and turn clockwise until there is mainly only a blue flame with a little bit of yellow.
  13. Place T-bones on top or middle rack with a digital temperature probe in one. Have the chord exit the door near the top right of the smoker.
  14. Alter flame as required to get a temperature of around 160°F
  15. Wait until target temperature of around 135°F. Sometimes I get bored and increase the flame to get a target temp of 200°F after 1.5-2 hours.
  16. Remove T-Bones and place on a pre-heated HOT grill (Gas BBQ pre-heated on max or your griller oven if you don't have a BBQ)
  17. Flip after 1-1.5 minutes.
  18. Remove after another 1-1.5 minutes.
  19. Let rest for 10 minutes prior to eating.
Here are 3 photos. First is what the smoke box looks like AFTER I turned the smoker off. Note that next time I'll just pile more chips on top of the ash / charcoal / remaining chips. I think the ash / charcoal helps to ensure the chips don't get too hot and burst into flames. So if you have problems controlling smoke on the first attempt, place chips on top of the charcoal on your second attempt.

Second photo is meat with olive oil and rub. Third is the result.