Looking to buy a smoker

All about smokers hot and cold
Boydwilliam

Looking to buy a smoker

Post by Boydwilliam »

Hi guys I've decided to purchase a smoker but I really have no idea which one would suit me best.
I've been looking at the Masterbuilt 30 as it appears to suit my needs.
Can anyone give me some feedback on how they perform. I'll be looking to smoke meats, roasts, fish, snags, corn and pumpkins.
Also do they have the ability to cold smoke cheeses etc.
Thanks in advance.
12x7

Looking to buy a smoker

Post by 12x7 »

Boydwilliam wrote:Hi guys I've decided to purchase a smoker but I really have no idea which one would suit me best.
I've been looking at the Masterbuilt 30 as it appears to suit my needs.
Can anyone give me some feedback on how they perform. I'll be looking to smoke meats, roasts, fish, snags, corn and pumpkins.
Also do they have the ability to cold smoke cheeses etc.
Thanks in advance.
How much do you want to spend?

How many people are you normally looking to feed?
Boydwilliam

Re: Looking to buy a smoker

Post by Boydwilliam »

Happy to spend around $500. I'd probably use it on the weekend and smoke a few different things to eat during the week.
We are a family of 5 but the kids aren't to adventurous when it comes to food so it's probably just going to be my wife and I who will benefit from it.
Pesto3

Looking to buy a smoker

Post by Pesto3 »

BBQ galore have a few smokers in that price range. and the options are endless. You can pick up an off set smoker for around $400 and barrel smokers for as low as $300. It really depends on what you want to do. If you can stretch the budget another $1000 I would get a Kamado Joe.
But I am biased, I have 2 and I love them. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KBBQ

Post by KBBQ »

[quote="Pesto3" You can pick up an off set smoker for around $400
:shock: :shock: :shock: really where?
snowfella

Post by snowfella »

Likely of lower quality than "name" brands but all up ~$360 gets you a CharGriller offset smoker from Bunnings.....if they have the firebox/tabletop grill in stock that is.
I tried special ordering one in a few weeks back at my local store but got told it's "add stock" that the stores have no control over. Whenever they get some in it's generally out of the blue in small quantities and they go fast. Had the girl at the counter do a statewide search and at that time there was only 2 stores in the state that had stock on hand. :shock: Her best suggestion was to just keep on coming back regularly to see if they had got a delivery.
Went back again on a mad punt last week and there one was sitting on the shelf, it's now an adopted member of the family.
Pesto3

Looking to buy a smoker

Post by Pesto3 »

KBBQ wrote:[quote="Pesto3" You can pick up an off set smoker for around $400
BBQ galore have them for $399 I am pretty sure. They are not "high end" quality but still a good bit of gear. I have a mate that has one and he turns out a great feed on it. I have seen the same style for over $6000. Obviously the price changes the quality but you get what you pay for. Still a good BBQ if that's your budget.

soupboy

Post by soupboy »

Pesto3 wrote:
BBQ galore have them for $399 I am pretty sure. They are not "high end" quality but still a good bit of gear. I have a mate that has one and he turns out a great feed on it. I have seen the same style for over $6000. Obviously the price changes the quality but you get what you pay for. Still a good BBQ if that's your budget.

Just wondering if these are the same offsets that used to retail for $299 at BBQ Galore? They're now $499 in the catalogue and wondering if its still the same BBQ?
https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/texas-smoker
Peoples previous issues with them seem to have been that they didn't seal well and didn't hold heat at all. Seems crazy to have upped the price by a couple hundred and not changed any of the issues with them?
Last edited by soupboy on Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Have a look at a ProQ, very versatile bit of gear.

I've had one for a couple of years and can't say enough good things about it.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
Pesto3

Looking to buy a smoker

Post by Pesto3 »

soupboy wrote:
Pesto3 wrote:

Just wondering if these are the same offsets that used to retail for $299 at BBQ Galore? They're now $499 in the catalogue and wondering if its still the same BBQ?
https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/texas-smoker
Peoples previous issues with them seem to have been that they didn't seal well and didn't hold heat at all. Seems crazy to have upped the price by a couple hundred and not changed any of the issues with them?
That looks similar to the one my mate has. No, they don't seal well and it's a labour of love cooking on them. He loves it though. the beauty of the Kamado is I can put a brisket on it and just walk away. I know it will hold temps. They are just that good. You can pick up a "pit Boss" Kamado grill from Costco for $800? I think. Same basic BBQ. But if the budget can stretch to a KJ that's what I would be getting.