Gas BBQ you can smoke in and grill?

All about smokers hot and cold
nofx2704

Gas BBQ you can smoke in and grill?

Post by nofx2704 »

Hi I have a Wiltshire Boss 4 burner, and just staring to play around with smoking with a smoker box and finding that i am getting a lot of smoke loss out the back as there is a very large gap. Wondering if anyone has managed to find a good gas powered BBQ that holds smoke well. I understand an upright smoker would be the best option but dont want two BBQs and having it be gas allows much better temp control.
jjjones

Re: Gas BBQ you can smoke in and grill?

Post by jjjones »

I may be wrong but my understanding is that when smoking, the aim is to have good airflow. Hence most smokers you see have a smoke stack.
You don't want the chamber to be completely air tight. Smoke needs to flow through the food and out.

Of course if your smoker/bbq has a smoke stack, you dont want any leaks because this will cause heatloss and make you use more fuel to maintain temperature.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

A gas BBQ in most cases have the ventilation out the back unless it's a built-in but even then I think it's still out the back as you need to have the bbq far enough forward in order to open the hood.

Gas BBQs like you have will never be true smokers so don't expect to do 12 hour smoking stints out of it, it just wasn't designed for that.

Ok now that we've got that out of the way, there are a few ways you can achieve smoking goodness in your bbq but it'll be a hotter heat smoke, at least 300F by just using flavoured smoking pellets in a wrapped foil pack with holes punched into it or soaked woodchips.

Theres another product around but off the top of my head can't think of it but essentially it's a tube with a wire gauze outside and you fill it full of pellets and light one end....that'll give you a fair bit of prolonged smoke...you don't want smoke hanging around too long anyway because it may become creosote (soot) on your food.

You can also get an old metal colander or strong wire basket, punch some more holes in the bottom for better oxygen intake, leave all burners off, in fact, disconnect the hose for safety, light up about 6-10 heatbeads and wait til they become grey all over, place some smoking wood over the heatbeads, place your meat on opposite side, and close lid....it won't be the same but you will get some low and slow smoking done this way.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Davo wrote: Theres another product around but off the top of my head can't think of it but essentially it's a tube with a wire gauze outside and you fill it full of pellets and light one end....that'll give you a fair bit of prolonged smoke...you don't want smoke hanging around too long anyway because it may become creosote (soot) on your food.

Cheers

Davo
He's also posted the same question in the gas section which I answered.

http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... 91#p153428
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah that's the thing I was trying to think of last night......

When I come on here, I mostly only look in the latest post listings so if anyone has written anything new, i'm not likely to miss it...which I obviously did with your answer.. :oops:

Yeah I might even get one for myself one day.....but this would be ideal for what he is looking for.

Onya 12x7

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5