UDS - Getting rid of interior coating.

All about smokers hot and cold
knight76

UDS - Getting rid of interior coating.

Post by knight76 »

I have plans to build a UDS mostly for cooking larger quantities of ribs I can't do in the weber. And of course, then use it for all my smoking needs.

As everyone finds, the first issue people encounter and probably the hardest part of the project is finding a suitable drum.

I have contacted a drum manufacturer and reconditioner down in Sydney called VIP Sustainability and asked about their drums, awaiting their response.

There is a local place to me selling the drums for $10, but I'm sure you could grab as many as you want, for industry these things pose a headache I guess to get rid of. These are food grade drums and I have not been out to look at them, but I am assuming they will have the orange coating on the inside.

So, I've done some reading on the net and it suggests using a propane torch to burn it all out. I'm starting from scratch here with just regular home tools like drills etc, but no propane torch. I'm hoping there is another way.

I noticed online mention of sand blasting to clear out the internal and external paint and coating. Has anybody done this with a drum in the past?

The issue I am facing is I can't burn it out living in a residential area without the risk of the fire brigade arriving. Our local council prohibits burn off's and this would be classified as a burn off. You need a permit to do it, equals too much red tape.

My option is to buy a new one, uncoated on the interior. Or find another way.

I am thinking even if I propane torch the interior off, I would still need to do a burn out in it or two to make sure contaminants are gone though, would this be correct?
Groovy Gorilla

Re: UDS - Getting rid of interior coating.

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Is it just cooking oil or something like that in them?
If so maybe some home brand kitty litter to soak up most of it
A good wash with a detergent next
and then light it up there shouldn't be anymore smoke than a barbie
chilling while grilling
hoddo

Post by hoddo »

Yep I'd just build a fire in it and give it a good burn. Its not a burn off its a BBQ if anyone has a problem
knight76

Post by knight76 »

I'm in two minds really whether to get a Hark smoker, or make a UDS. The Hark has the benefit of ease as it is ready to go. But I think the UDS would be better overall. More cooking space with the option of running two racks. From what I read seems to be more a set and forget setup once the UDS is at temp with top vent open and bottom vents plugged except for the ball valve. Plus it would be a fun project anyhow to do, and have something to say hay, I made that!

The drums I am looking at are lined with that orange spray lining, would a burn or two be able to get this coating off?

I'm waiting on a price for sand blasting it, anybody had this done and can let me know how much it cost them?
smokerjoe

Post by smokerjoe »

Hey there you can get uncoated reco drums in wollongong 20 dollars each. That's what im going to be using in a week or two
knight76

Post by knight76 »

Wollongong is a bit far to go for a drum. Great that you can get em down there though. Post up where from in case others read this thread and may go that option.

I called in to BBQ galore today and they had a rebadged Hark smoker in there. After seeing it first hand I've settled on making the UDS.

So, without further ado say hello to my UDS in the making. Nice a clean inside, no real dings or rust. A good starting point I think.

I'm going to make this my build thread to post up my progress from ray to ribs!

Plan:

Step 1: Sand blasting to remove paint and interior coating. Going this route as it is just easier and convenient. Setting a fire in it may work, but I've read stories of it taking multiple fires, and several hours of sanding to remove the paint and interior coating. I don't have an electric sander handy, so it would be by hand. The sand blasting is going to cost me $100. Sure, it adds to the cost but it's money will spent in saving a lot of angst.

Step 2: Paint, I've picked up some White Knight High Temp spray pains in charcoal gray. Good for up to 1000F so should be fine. The drum is getting blasted next Wed while I wait, and then I'll paint it as soon as I get it home.

Step 3: Drilling out the various holes. I am going to go with the design Sneakeey1 has on youtube with the 4 elbow pieces on top for exhausts, and intakes at the bottom one with a ball valve for temp control. Going for two grilling grates in there.

Step 4: Seasoning.

Done!

I'll post pics of my journey as I go.

And for those interested here is my costs break down. I'll update as I spend.

Drum: $10
Sand Blasting: $100
beginner

Post by beginner »

Awesome interested to see how it goes!
Swamptrout

Post by Swamptrout »

No progress in 3 months?
knight76

Post by knight76 »

Sorry, I haven't been on much of late.

Yes, there are updates lol.

I got it abrasive blasted and painted up in grey outside. Painted the inside with cooking spray and did the season burn.

I'm very, very happy with it. Anybody who is looking to get in to a smoker other than an offset I would say build a UDS.

I'm still learning the basics. But with the UDS I can get it to 250F and keep it there with minor vent adjustments.

I'm cooking in it at the moment actually, two small Aldi Brisket pieces for my first try at some Brisket.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I've often used my Weber Smokey Mountain cooker as a UDS.....especially for chicken....goes really good...just take the waterpan out.

Love me WSM.

Cheers

davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
clarky_the_sparky

Post by clarky_the_sparky »

Any pics of the final product? I'm currently building one myself and i'm keen to see how yours turned out
Weber OTS x 2 (M/AH)
Weber Compact (BB)
Weber Q2200
Weber GA
UDS in the making
insta: @clarky_the_sparky
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

clarky_the_sparky wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:44 pm Any pics of the final product? I'm currently building one myself and i'm keen to see how yours turned out
Clarky, this thread is around 4 years old now.....not many come here anymore so you might not get an answer.....this used to be the biggest and best forum many years ago but people have gone elsewhere...newer formats, facebook etc.

Go over to https://smokefireandfood.com/forum/

Many knowledgeable people over there....I have no experience with a UDS but have lots with the Weber smokey mountain which i can use as a UDS by taking out the waterpan.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5