Smokai - Where to get wood.

All about smokers hot and cold
PeterMer234

Smokai - Where to get wood.

Post by PeterMer234 »

Hi All,

I bought a Smokai some time back and have struggled with it due to a lack of experience and what I found out to be incorrect wood chip size. Unfortunately the wood chip I bought (was sold) when I got the Smokai was too big for the Smokai. The Wood chip I bought is the size of a 50 cent piece where I am told I need the size of a fingernail. I was able to smash some of the bigger chips down to a smaller size and got it working after a number of attempts. But it took a lot of frustration to work out I had the wrong size wood chip.

Any advice on where to get wood chip, in Sydney, of a correct size to start with? I tried pellets and they also went out all the time.
Smokey

Re: Smokai - Where to get wood.

Post by Smokey »

Try a mix of pellets and dust. I fill the hopper then tip in a handful of sawdust and give it a tap so it falls down through the pellets.
You will find that most mediums will need a tap (I use a tent peg) to get things to settle every hour.
I found its due to moisture content, Sometimes it does not need any help at all.
Hark small beech chips work well.
Use a jet type lighter and once it gets going on high air speed, Pellets are not normally a problem. Leave it on high air for the first Half hour.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

try country brewer

otherwise online.. aussiebbqsmoke
aussiesmokebloke

Post by aussiesmokebloke »

There is a woodchip out there manufactured specifically for food smoking. ECO - SMOKE by The Aussie Smoke Bloke.(ASB) It is different in that it is HACCP approved 'Food Safe', not just food grade which can contain impurities from outer barks, saps, pesticides, chain oil, infestation etc.
ECO - SMOKE is a 4-10 mm machine milled inner timber. Clean timber.
Safe for all food prep environments
It functions perfectly in the ASB. Minimal heat combustion with extraordinary amount of smoke yield. But then the function of the ASB may have a large bearing on this also. Available on Ebay or direct from the ASB
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Look up Butchers Supplies.

Beech smoking chips are perfect and what all the smallgoods manufacturers use. About $50 a 15kg bag(the size of a wheat sack).
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
aussiesmokebloke

Post by aussiesmokebloke »

You may be interested to know that Beech isnt used by all major smallgood manufactures. Vic Ash. Redgum, Mtn Ash & Messmate are used extensively. Tasmanias largest fish (salmon) smokers use Redgum. Have done for years in fact. Surprised me our Tassie salmon was done with Redgum. So I tried also and it is the only timber i use now. It works fantastic!